Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower head moldy, are seeds toast?

Posted by terrynew 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 11:11

Oops, I lay my sunflower heads face-up to dry on newspaper inside, instead of (I know read) hanging them. The seeds appeared to be drying nicely but when I turned the heads over, I saw many had mold on the underside. Removing the seeds produced lots of smokey mold, and some of the mold had worked its way through to the seed-side of the heads. I've thrown away most of the seeds that were growing in the moldy areas, but there are still many seeds whose shells had been in contact with the dust/mold, mixed in among the non-contacted ones. They are all solid and dry, with no visible damage, but can they be still be used as either (a) planting seed, or (b) bird seed?

Thanks,
...Terry
PS Please be gentle with me, I'm already feeling dumb about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower head moldy, are seeds toast?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 11:45

Hi Terry,
Don't feel dumb! for one reason or another, it was just too moist for too long and that cause mold. In another year you could do the same thing and have no mold.
The seeds that look undamaged, might be fine. Since they are dry now, you can test to make sure they are viable. The paper towel test is really easy. The link below shows how.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Towel Seed Test

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here