Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgently

Seed (pod) identification

dirtgently
13 years ago

Does anyone have a favourite site for identifying seed pods they've seen or collected?

So far, I've found this site at Ohio State and this site in the UK.

Reason I'm asking is I recently collected a couple of interesting-looking seed pods, but I have no idea what the plant is. I'd like to germinate them, but without knowing what they are I'm not sure what to do with them.

Or, going out on a limb, would anyone like to take a stab at identifying them?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Dirt,
    Those are the 2 best sites to use. If you haven't figured it out from them, I suggest posting here, on the Name That Plant Forum, and/or the Winter Sowing forum.
    Remy

• aquawise
    13 years ago

I use the one!

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds id

• dirtgently
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After some head scratching and site browsing, I haven't really been able to figure out what exactly I have from those sites, so I've attached some pictures of them below. Thank you for any help you can provide!

• bitterwort
    13 years ago

It's definitely a mallow of some kind, perhaps a zebrina or French hollyhock (search for Malva sylvestris) or a lavatera (not sure there is a common name). Did you grow either of those or recall seeing them where you collected the seed? Definitely a mallow.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I second the mallow. I harvested lots of seeds from mine that look like the photo above as well as the pods having that lacy look to them. I didn't plant the one that grows here--it's been here since I moved in 5 years ago. I decided it was a perennial rather than a weed when it came up in the same spot year after year.

• dirtgently
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks both of you. I collected it from a bushy plant in an empty lot in a residential area. It would make sense that it's a hollyhock as they seem to be popular in that neighbourhood if I remember correctly. Into the metaphorical ground they go! We'll see what comes up.

• christinawalton915
    7 years ago

these were gave to me, but I have no clue what they are, nor when to plant them.

• ophoenix
    7 years ago

I also agree that they are the mallow family. There are more than 3,000 plants in the family - with most seeds and pod looking similar.

Here is one of the best online sites and this link will take you to the Alcea page - the family of Mallows. Seed identification using the seeds only can be daunting, nerdy but really interesting and each one is beautiful. There are a lot of photographs to look through but this is one of the best sites I have ever found. Have fun!

http://theseedsite.co.uk/allpodsfam6.html

• ophoenix
    7 years ago

Here is the link to the photos of the seeds. http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedsize15.html  There does not seem to be a good way to enlarge the photos except for increasing the size of the page.

• ophoenix
    7 years ago

Here is a link to a downloadable plates of wonderful drawings of hundreds of seeds. The drawings were done around 1934 and of course are just as valid as if they were done today. http://accessiblegardens.org/

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions