Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed (pod) identification

Posted by dirtgently 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 12:29

Does anyone have a favourite site for identifying seed pods they've seen or collected?

So far, I've found this site at Ohio State and this site in the UK.

Reason I'm asking is I recently collected a couple of interesting-looking seed pods, but I have no idea what the plant is. I'd like to germinate them, but without knowing what they are I'm not sure what to do with them.

Or, going out on a limb, would anyone like to take a stab at identifying them?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed (pod) identification

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 19:31

Dirt,
Those are the 2 best sites to use. If you haven't figured it out from them, I suggest posting here, on the Name That Plant Forum, and/or the Winter Sowing forum.
Remy

o

I use the one!

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds id

o

After some head scratching and site browsing, I haven't really been able to figure out what exactly I have from those sites, so I've attached some pictures of them below. Thank you for any help you can provide!

100-0590

100-0590

100-0590

100-0598

o

It's definitely a mallow of some kind, perhaps a zebrina or French hollyhock (search for Malva sylvestris) or a lavatera (not sure there is a common name). Did you grow either of those or recall seeing them where you collected the seed? Definitely a mallow.

o

I second the mallow. I harvested lots of seeds from mine that look like the photo above as well as the pods having that lacy look to them. I didn't plant the one that grows here--it's been here since I moved in 5 years ago. I decided it was a perennial rather than a weed when it came up in the same spot year after year.

o

Thanks both of you. I collected it from a bushy plant in an empty lot in a residential area. It would make sense that it's a hollyhock as they seem to be popular in that neighbourhood if I remember correctly. Into the metaphorical ground they go! We'll see what comes up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here