Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin-on-a-Stick

Posted by averybird Zone 5b, WA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 12:51

Hello, I am not used to collecting seeds that aren't obvious in dried little pods. Never done fruits or veggies before. Does anyone have advice for these little pumpkins? I cut into one and I see the seeds, but they are whitish yellow. Can I just pull them out and dry them on a paper towel "as is", or must I first soak them in water or ferment them somehow? Any advice would be appreciated. These are so cute I hate to let the seeds get away! :)

Thanks!
Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin-on-a-Stick

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 11:03

Hi Kristi,
I haven't checked this forum in awhile. I hope you already found an answer but here's what I know in case you didn't. The pumpkins on a stick are actually a type of ornamental eggplant. Eggplant need to be over ripe to produce viable seed. I don't know if you've ever looked in an old eggplant, but the seeds get brown. Being that you described the seeds as whitish yellow, I'm thinking they are not mature enough seed to make new plants. If the seeds were mature enough, they don't need any treatment except cleaning and drying.
Hope that helped,
Remy

o
RE: Pumpkin-on-a-Stick

Thanks Remy, appreciate your response!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here