Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollination of Morning Glory

Posted by Robin282 z7 SE MA Coast (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 05 at 13:29

Hello to All,
Can anyone tell me about Morning Glory Pollination? DO they cross easily? I know beans, for example, generally pollinate before the flower fully opens, so they can be planted fairly closely without too much concern about crossing. I have some really great Morning Glories I would like to plant next year and save the seed from. How far apart must I put them to keep them true? Do certain ones cross, and others not? With squashes, melons will cross with each other, but not with pumkins, so there are divisions there. Do Morning Glories have this? I noticed the ones I planted this year had different leaf shapes, and wondered if maybe they were different enough not to cross.
I appreciate any advice in this area.
Thank you!
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollination of Morning Glory

I don't know much about MG's, but seed that others had sent me did not come out close to what they were supposed to be. Could've just been a fluke, but I'm learning to plant them separately, as best I can ;) Try asking over on the Vine forum; there are alot of MG experts over there.

o

Hi,

From what I've read....MG's do cross polinate easily. I read in one of my garden books that different varieties should be planted about an acre away from eachother (ok? in what world?).

I planted mine in corners of my yard to try to avoid cross polination (our lot is 1 acre). We'll see if my varieties remain true.

I recently traded with you, not any MG's though. Take Care and hope this helps.

Alice "michiganalice"

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 7:17

They cross. MG seeds are viable a long time. You are better off planting only one variety or isolating them by flower time. The only other option is hand pollination, which is not easy and a pain in the neck. The site below will not directly answer your question but it is a nice resource on JMGs.

http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/Introduction/htmls/38.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here