Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lettuce Seed Saving.....

Posted by Magnolias4Ever 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 05 at 14:07

I have 2 Romaine lettuce plants that are forming flower heads and I would like to try to save these seeds. There are no other lettuce plants in my garden that are forming seed heads so, should I just let the flower stay open for pollination? What are the steps involved in saving lettuce seed?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lettuce Seed Saving.....

I find saving lettuce seed to be quite easy. After the flowers fade away, the plants will eventually form seed heads, which look a lot like miniature dandelion seed heads. Once these seed heads form, remove the whole seed head(s) from the plant before the seeds blow away! You might want to use scisors, as I got my hands pretty sappy while trying to pull off the seed heads! Now, just take the seed heads indoors and pluck the seeds from them. You can also remove the white chaff that lets them get blown around, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Set them on a paper plate to dry, and leave them for at least a week or two. Then, just put them in an envelope, plastic bag, or some other container, and treat them like any other seeds.

o

• Posted by DanaNY z6 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 8, 05 at 20:49

Thomas, the detailed info you provided is great. I'm wondering how tall do the stalks get when they go to seed?

o

I had Black Seeded Simpson in one flower bed this year. The flower stakls got about 3 feet tall, but the soft green and small yellow flowers blended well; plus I have enough seed for several years.

o

Well, the flower stalk is getting taller :) These plants are about 3 feet tall now. I'm just waiting on them to bloom out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here