Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where are Seeds for Celosia ‘Dark Caracas’

Posted by linda0210 5(MA) (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 14:13

I think it's a celosia spicata, with upright flower spikes. Very very pretty plant It was sold as a potted annual this year in Massachusetts – I have the plant tag which just says Celosia "Black Caracas". I can’t find any date online other than a few pictures of what it does look like.

Checked the seed site – they referenced black oval seeds for celosia spicata but I am seeing nothing like that with my plant. I am seeing tiny beige, light brown ‘flecs’, a little bit thicker than hair width but I’m not sure if they are seeds.

Anyone have an idea? I would LOVE to collect them if i can?

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of Celosia Caracas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where are Seeds for Celosia ‘Dark Caracas’

My how pretty! I sure hope you can get seeds from it.

Possibly they have not matured yet, though I would have thought that they would have. I would think they would be small black 'hard' seeds. Have the flower heads started to fade? Have you torn them all apart to the core of the bloom?

If you find them, I'd love some if you have any to trade. My list is in awful need of updating though.

Sue

o

Nah, flower heads were faded when I took them off, and while I expect to have lost some seeds because the heads were on for a while, I am still thinking that there had to be...some... seeds.... there. Maybe they are sterile. I dunno. No black seeds tho. And since I'm not normally a fan of celosias, these are the first that I've grown so I have nothing to compare to.

I may take some of the 'flecs' that I think are seeds and see if they will germinate. If so, I will keep you in mind!

o

Thanks!

Have you maybe asked about the seed over at Winter Sowing. There are a bunch of seed addicts over there, and maybe someone has grown it b4 from seed.

I sure hope it works out for you....(and me). I'm sure I could find something of interest for you.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here