Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgardengal

Frozen fig seeds*Need feedback please

socalgardengal
11 years ago

Hello,Newbie here. Sorry if it's a stupid question but I have 2 different figs that I harvested and froze right away and was wondering if I thaw them, are the seeds still able to germinate?? They have been in freezer for about 2 months. Thank you so much for any thoughts and Happy Holidays!

Comments (3)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Not a stupid question at all. But it would be useful to know why you want to grow figs from seeds. If it is just curiosity, that's one thing, but if you want fig trees like the parents you will need to take cuttings. Seeds are the result of sexual reproduction so there is unpredictable genetic variation in the offspring.

I don't think freezing would hurt the seeds but the figs would need to have been totally ripe ie almost rotting for the seed to be really ripe.

• chervil2
    11 years ago

Does anyone have experience from figs from seeds? Inquiring minds want to know!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Why do you want to try fig seeds? If just to see if it works then that is one thing, but using cuttings works much better and faster. I have just put cuttings into a empty milk container with the top cut out and placed in the shade. Here in Texas they would cook if left in the sun. There in Massachusetts I would get cuttings in the spring and plant before your fall season. I do see why the attempt they sure are priced quite high. [taken off the web] Choosing the Fig Seed

If you wish to grow a fig tree because you enjoy the beautiful leaves and the appearance of the tree, then any seed that you can collect from a fig purchased at a store will do. However, if you wish to grow a fig tree that will bear fruit, you need to have seed from a tree that's been fertilized. These figs are more likely from Turkey or other locations in the Middle East. This is because the fig wasp, which is needed for fertilization, is native to these countries, and will have, more than likely, fertilized the figs you purchase. When you purchase the figs from which to gain the seed, make sure you read the label on the package to find the right country of origin.

Read more: Growing Fig Trees From a Seed : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5452523_growing-fig-trees-seed.html#ixzz2JBrzHTHi

eHow

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions