Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen fig seeds*Need feedback please

Posted by socalgardengal 10b/24 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 14:43

Hello,Newbie here. Sorry if it's a stupid question but I have 2 different figs that I harvested and froze right away and was wondering if I thaw them, are the seeds still able to germinate?? They have been in freezer for about 2 months. Thank you so much for any thoughts and Happy Holidays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen fig seeds*Need feedback please

Not a stupid question at all. But it would be useful to know why you want to grow figs from seeds. If it is just curiosity, that's one thing, but if you want fig trees like the parents you will need to take cuttings. Seeds are the result of sexual reproduction so there is unpredictable genetic variation in the offspring.

I don't think freezing would hurt the seeds but the figs would need to have been totally ripe ie almost rotting for the seed to be really ripe.

o

Does anyone have experience from figs from seeds? Inquiring minds want to know!

o

Why do you want to try fig seeds? If just to see if it works then that is one thing, but using cuttings works much better and faster. I have just put cuttings into a empty milk container with the top cut out and placed in the shade. Here in Texas they would cook if left in the sun. There in Massachusetts I would get cuttings in the spring and plant before your fall season. I do see why the attempt they sure are priced quite high. [taken off the web] Choosing the Fig Seed

If you wish to grow a fig tree because you enjoy the beautiful leaves and the appearance of the tree, then any seed that you can collect from a fig purchased at a store will do. However, if you wish to grow a fig tree that will bear fruit, you need to have seed from a tree that's been fertilized. These figs are more likely from Turkey or other locations in the Middle East. This is because the fig wasp, which is needed for fertilization, is native to these countries, and will have, more than likely, fertilized the figs you purchase. When you purchase the figs from which to gain the seed, make sure you read the label on the package to find the right country of origin.

Read more: Growing Fig Trees From a Seed : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5452523_growing-fig-trees-seed.html#ixzz2JBrzHTHi

eHow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here