Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest my Castor bean seeds?

Posted by hengal z5 / IN (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 14:50

Hi all. I have a beautiful red castor bean plant that has just now wilted due to the cold weather. The seed pods are not dark brown and dried up yet so I haven't havested them. I want to make sure they have fully formed viable seeds for next year. I'm afraid the freeze may destroy the seeds, however, like I said, they are not completely dried yet. Do I leave them on the plant or should I cut them off and dry them inside?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest my Castor bean seeds?

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 19:31

Cut off the withered pods and bring them inside to dry on a plate--make sure it's somewhere that no people or pets can get to it. Sometimes there's enough moisture and nutrients left in a stem to finsih the maturation of seeds--but sometime's there's not. In a couple of weeks check the pods and see if the seeds inside are firm, if so remove and store them until sowing. If you can spare any do a germination test before sowing the whole batch to avoid dissapointments.

o

I'm drying some myself right now and was told that they'll pop open and fly across the room so keep them in paper sack or something to contain them.

o

Guess I'd better check on them tonight! I cut the pods off of the stems about a week ago and put them up where the cats can't get to them. They were drying pretty nicely - guess I'd better make sure none have popped. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here