Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokal_gw

Saving Montauk Daisy Seeds

rokal
19 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to save Montauk Daisy (Chrysanthemum nipponicum) seeds? Mine is just about finished blooming and I would love to harvest some seed. Also can they be winter sown? Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Comments (12)

• iluvbonsai
    19 years ago

Sorry I have no idea. I can't seem to find it on the web.

• rokal
    Original Author
    19 years ago

bump. Anyone try this? I here that Montauk Daisies can be propogated via cuttings but has anyone successfully grown them from seed?

• stephtheogre88
    19 years ago

*bump, i'm trying to do the same thing. i imagine that like regular daises, once the petal fall the head will dry and u cna peel the seed apart into those little sticks, but i dunno

• carrie630
    18 years ago

I, too, am wondering what the seeds look like. If anyone finds a photo or can help here - it would be appreciated. Thanks - Carrie

• agardenstateof_mind
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and saw your question. As much as I love Montauk Daisies, I have no idea what their seeds look like. They are so very easy to propagate from cuttings, I don't know if I'd bother with seeds!

I finally learned they should be pruned twice a year: June 1 and December 1 - easy to remember, that's good. When I took those June cuttings, I just couldn't bear to throw them all away, so tried rooting some - 100% success rate! I trimmed off all but the topmost few leaves, dusted with rooting hormone, and stuck them, three to a pot, in small pots filled with a mixture of sand, well-aged compost, potting soil, and a dash of well-aged cow manure. I did not cover them, but placed them in a part of the garden that gets heavily dappled shade. Checked on them frequently to make sure the soil remained moist. When I saw plenty of strong new growth, I figured they'd made their roots and gradually moved them to increased sunlight. By late summer, when I tapped them out of the pots to plant in full sun, there was a great root system there. They bloomed for me this fall.

I gave away most of my December cuttings, but kept a few to see how well this works in winter. It's a little early to tell, since the cuttings are out in my greenhouse (new to me this fall, so I'm experimenting a lot), and have been in cooler temperatures than the June cuttings.

Actually, I realize seeds are a lot easier to share over long distances than cuttings are. But if you want to increase what you already have, try rooting your June cuttings.

Diane

• donn_
    18 years ago

The seeds look like small Shasta Daisy, Feverfew or Tanacetum seeds. I wintersowed 32 cells, with 2-3 seeds per cell on March 25, '05. They started germinating on April 26, and I planted out 18 cells in the fall.

• harold100
    15 years ago

I'm new to this site but not new to gardening. Just looking for info on the Montauk daisies. I've got a nice clump which I bought 2 years ago and didn't know I had to cut them back in June and mine stayed upright very nicely.
    I did cut out some short stalks and stuck them in the dirt beside original plant and only 2 of the 6 rooted. So in the fall when I cut them down I got 9, 4 inch pots of soil and broke off the tiny leaf buds growing all up the stalks and stuck them into the wet soil, then placed them on the south side of my house for winter sun and rain. I live on the southern border of Virginia. Today about 30% of them are still green and the rest may be dormant, not dead. Can't wait til spring to find out. Just wondering, have any of you tried this method?

• anewgarden
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pruning info on Montauk Daisys! And the cuttings info! I have several. They are such wonderful late bloomers!

• evelyn_inthegarden
    10 years ago

I will be sure to take some pictures. These daisies are not easy to find. I am sharing some seeds on the cubit's Hog Wild Seed Swap. Do you have anything like that at GardenWeb?
    GW was my first gardening forum, but that was many years ago when Spike was the webmaster, and it was not owned by a corporation. The same thing happened to Dave's Garden. Dave (Whitinger) has created 2 new websites...cubits.org and allthingsplants.com if anyone is interested. There is also a (seed sharing) Round Robin at DG.

If anyone is interested I can send you some seeds with a SASE.

Evelyn

• evelyn_inthegarden
    10 years ago

Here are a few links to the the Montauk Daisy:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/plantfinder/plantfinderdetails.aspx?kempercode=i560

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Nipponanthemum

• evelyn_inthegarden
    10 years ago

An article from Horticulture Magazine...

Here is a link that might be useful: Montauk Daisy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions