Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Saver Vacuum Packaging to save seeds?

Posted by sultry_jasmine_night steamy z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 05 at 15:16

Does anyone use a Food Saver or other vacuum package type product to save seeds? It seems like it would keep the humidity out (I live in the deep south). If you then stored that in a cool dark place would it increase the seed viability opposed to non vacuuming? TIA
~SJN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Saver Vacuum Packaging to save seeds?

I would try wrapping them in a little envelope of paper toweling first. Otherwise, the vacuum could suck the seeds right out of the bag!

o

Good idea. I was thinking of doing that and then placing them in a mason jar and use the jar attachment to vacuum the air out.

o

I was also considering the mason jar attachment for this (as per the manual they suggest a coffee filter placed ontop of super fine things like flour, or in this case, tiny seeds I would imageine)

I bought myself a foodsaver for christmas just to find that its really quite useless and to expensive to use for half the things it is advertised for.
The mason jar attachment however looks promising, especially since they are reuseable forever.

Though I have not tried it, I would imagine that the vacuum packing would keep the seeds at the exact state in which they were packed. (Similar to how it keeps brown sugar from going hard by losing moisture or going sticky by absorbing too much). The vacume sealer companies list garden seeds as something it keeps "fresher" but after an hour or so searching the net I was unable to find any conclusive evidence lol.

So I am also interested in hearing from anyone that has tried this out.

o

when i worked the meat packing and had little thing to vacum we would pack it somthing than vacum it

o

Hello all,
I do not own a vacuum packer but I am thinking about buying one. I have not been able to come up with a reason to do it yet, until a couple of days ago when I received some seeds from a trade that were vacuum packed. It seemed sort of wasteful the way it was done though, a huge section with only a dozen seeds in it. I am hoping that there is a machine that will allow very small packs not wasting so much of the material. If anyone could reccomenda machine that would do this I would appreciate it.

If you are only saving seeds to be used for the next spring it might be overkill. However, if you are saving seeds that remain viable for years such as Tomatoes (5 years or more) it would probably be a good idea and should extend the life of the seeds.

"MJ"

o

I don't know about a vacumn sealer, but what I use to get close to vacumn packing is a straw. I put my seeds in a coin envelope and then put the coin envelopes in a zip loc bag...close the bag except for a little space for the straw, then suck out the air from the bag and quickly withdraw the straw and finish sealing the bag. It's not exactly vacumn sealed but pretty close, and a lot less expensive.

Thanks
JP

o

I use a vacuum sealer to store all of my tomato seeds and it has worked very well for me.
If you buy the bulk bag material on a roll you can make what ever size bag you need.
The seeds go first into a small paper envolope and then into the vacuum bag.
The vacuum bags are made longer than needed so they can be resealed again after opening.
Hope this helps!
Haven a good day!
Dennis

o

I've heard that dry rice can be put into containers to absorb moisture before it get to the material you are trying to keep dry.

Those little stay-dry packets one sometimes get might be another idea. I think I would favor glass containers, but would put it into a ziplock in case the glass broke.

o

I have vegetable seeds that Mom gave to me many years ago that remain viable. I store them in a 20 gallon foil-lined drum that is air tight. The drum is kept in a cool cellar. The same could possibly be done on a smaller scale with a mason jar with an air-tight lid. The zip-lock bags are not as air-tight, but I keep seed that I will use within a couple of years in zip bags with good results.

o
castiliana RE: Food Saver Vacuum Packaging to save seeds?

Not sure if this will help you or not but there is a video on youtube that gives you a trick on how to basically use any cheap in expensive bag instead of the "original" ones.
The name of the video is: Using inexpensive smooth (non-ribbed) food storage bags and it's posted by: Offgridgeeks. Kirsten.

o

Best thing I have found for saving seeds are the small 2mil bags on ebay. I get 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 for different seeds and split them into the bags. Your always bound to end up with some bad seed in something and if you say take meyer lemon seed and dry it and place it in 5 bags its nice if one gets overly moldy just chuck it.

I also store all my seed in the fridge door wrapped up tight and in the deep freeze, we have a new deep freeze that keeps ice cream scoop able and not block like. I know some seeds can be saved for 20+ years that way, is how the government seedbanks work. I would call those guys and see if they have any input, I might actually do that myself.

o

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

I’ve been using FoodSavers for years for both seed and food storage. I seldom use FoodSaver plastic bags because they are permeable and develop leaks…and you just throw them away. If you have to use bags, mylar is a better choice, but you have to use the trick mentioned by an earlier poster. Look for the YouTube video by Offgridgeeks. It works.

Glass jars are the best choice. They are reusable and aren’t permeable. Mason jars are available in sizes as small as 4 oz. and as large as ½ gallon. FoodSaver makes separate adapters for regular and wide-mouth jars, so be careful when you buy your jars and order the attachment.

You can also use almost any commercial jar with a platisol lid. Those are the jar lids with the inner silicon-type ring on the edge of the top. To seal them, you have to put them inside a mason jar or the canister attachment sold by FoodSaver. There are other workarounds, but I won’t go into them here. If you really hate the 2-piece Mason jar lids, you can order 1-piece plastisol lids on-line. The regular-mouth jar lids are 70mm and wide-mouth are 86mm.

In addition to seeds, many DRY food items can be vacuum-sealed and stored for years and even decades, depending on the food type. Items such and beans, legumes and whole grains are wonderful candidates. Pastas, chocolate, dried fruit with very low moisture content, freeze-dried or dehydrated fruits and vegetables store very well. You can double the shelf life of foods such as nuts with a higher oil content.

My husband occasionally comes home with huge sale bags of blue corn chips. I divide them into quart jars and vacuum-seal them. I have kept them up to 18 months and they are still perfectly fresh.

Very fine substances such as flour are poor candidates unless you go to great lengths to contain the fine powder. Unless they are contained, the powder is drawn out between the jar and lid, preventing the jar from sealing completely and the seal will fail. Worse yet, the powder is drawn into the machine which will eventually stop functioning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here