Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frustrated!

Posted by yotetrapper 5 (riverat@hcil.net) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 15:42

I have lots of plants in my garden yet that have went to seed, most I'm sure have already scattered their seeds but some I dont think have. But I can't tell for sure whats a seed, and whats just chaff. My coneflowers, mums, sedums, and threadleaf coreospis are some plants I believe still have seeds, but dont know for sure. I dont want to collect these and have them just be chaff, especially for trading!

Anyone know of a website, book, etc. that would help me with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frustrated!

o
RE: Frustrated!

Yote, I can tell you about sedum anyway, and how I do it. I cut the faded well dried blooms and brought them in and put them standing up in a jar. When I am ready to package them, I will cut a small part of the flower head off, and insert it upside down inside the little plastic seed baggie, and gently tap it. Lots of very very tiny seeds will fall into the bag, and probably grip the sides due to static electricity. Label the baggie, and that's it.

A trade of 100 or so seeds won't look like much since they are so tiny.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here