Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fox-glove Are They Ready?

Posted by FshyPlnts none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 16:52

Hey all!
So I have a ton of Fox-Glove in the back yard and am hoping to harvest seeds from them! I have never done this before and am hoping some of you can tell me if you think these are ready to be harvest yet? Also, any tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fox-glove Are They Ready?

Those are not foxgloves, FshyPlnts. They are Chelone, aka Turtle Head. I suggest you pick the pods which are brown and open, ie the lower ones, and just tip them out to extract the seeds.

o

Hey!
So that shows how much I deal with outdoor plants :). I got the two plants I am dealing with confused. Are foxglove ready the same time? When the fruits brown? Also, I tried the method you described. It seem like a lot of work. Is it possible to separate the fruits and plant them in their entirety? Thanks for the help!
Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

o

Foxgloves were ripe a long time ago in my climate so you may have missed them. I don't really consider tipping a few pods out 'a lot of work' but I suppose you could wait until all the pods are brown and shake the whole stem to get the seeds. I can't help you with whether it's good to plant a whole pod. Some people do it but I never have. If you consider that each pod contains many, many seeds you would end up with a thick clump of seedlings which would need thinning anyway. Sprinkling them thinly onto a flat or seedbed doesn't seem too difficult to me. You don't need to sow them individually. Just take a pinch between finger and thumb and sprinkle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here