Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Locust Seeds

Posted by FruitMan Zone 5 Kansas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 17:01

I have access to thousands of black locust seeds that are still in the pods on the tops of the trees. Are these seeds viable? How long do they need moist stratification?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Locust Seeds

believe it or not i had sucess in germinating them by boiling them!

Soak in boiling water for 10 sec.
to 5 min., then in water at room
temp. for 8 to 10 hours. Then plant them!

It worked for me.

o

Do I boil them now and plant in fall; or store in a dry, cold place and then boil then plant in spring?

o

bump

o

I wintersowed honey locust two years ago. I picked up the pod off the sidewalk downtown in the rain =) I just dried mine on a plate and pretty much left them there untill I sowed them. I have one surviving sapling, about knee high!

o

(I know its an old thread, but the following info could be useful to someone doing a search)

I just started a whole bunch of black locust seeds. I collected them last fall, and stuck them in my freezer. In April I used a sharp razor to cut open the pods. I only kept the biggest, healthiest looking seeds from the biggest pods. I nicked/shaved a small piece of the OUTER seed casing (do not cut the green inner seed), then submerged them in warm water overnight (12 hours). They should swell up a bit, I think you could keep them submerged for longer, probably 24 hours, if they haven't swelled, you should wait longer (maybe remove the ones that swelled and leave the others).

Then I wrapped them in a wet paper towel, kept wet by placing one end in a small jar of water to wick up to the rest of the paper towel (seeds NOT under water). Most of the seeds germinated after just 2 days. I planted the ones that germinated and they are growing well right now.

Note that this technique works well for most seeds with a hard outer shell including many tree seeds. Often when directions say to be patient, germination can take 3-4 weeks, you can use this method to get germination in 3 days (I've done it with strawberries for example and slow to germinate tree seeds).

o

I used a technique similar to the one tradergordo used. instead of putting the paper towel in a jar, i put the damp paper towel in a plastic bag and put it in a worm place. i got germination as early as a few days. also, before i put the seeds in the paper towel i soaked them for about 24 hours and filed down a little bit of the seed coat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here