Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q about harvesting milkweed seed

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 18:25

I have annual milkweed (curassavica) that I'd like to harvest seed from for next year. However, for some reason, it formed pods late and they're still green. We haven't had a frost yet, which is highly unusual. It's supposed to get down to 32 on Thursday night. Will that stop the pod ripening process? If so, would it be completely useless to go ahead and remove the pods while still green?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q about harvesting milkweed seed

Some plants freeze at 32F, some don't, and some don't even need to get down as low as 32F. I don't know specifically about milkweed, but since it's a tropical/subtropical, I would think it will probably freeze.

If you are anticipating warmer weather after the freeze, you might cover the plant and hope it continues to ripen as warm days continue.

If the seeds aren't mature, they aren't likely to be viable, either if they freeze, or if you harvest them green.

If the worst happens, harvest the pods and open them. If they appear ripe, try sprouting them on a damp (not wet) paper towel in a plastic bag. If some/all sprout, you will know at least some of them are ripe. If you try sprouting ten seeds and six sprout, you have a 60% germination rate, so you would know to sow more seeds next year than you need.

If the pods/seeds are on the edge of maturity, the oldest pods (often the center ones) are likely to be the ripest.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here