Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you recognize these seeds/pods?

Posted by w1ldflower 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 18:42

Hi all! I tried posting in the Name that Plant forum and thought I'd give this one a try. I have seeds from two unidentified plants which are hardy at least to zone 5. I'm including pics of the dried seed pods and seeds and hoping someone may be familiar with them.

The first has rounded seed pods with openings at the top. They are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch in diameter.

Second plant has elongated pods which are 1/8 inch wide and between 1/4 and 3/8 inches in length. Pods are ribbed and have four internal chambers which contain tightly packed tan-colored cylindrical seeds (packed together inside they stack snugly to form a perfect bean shape)in columns.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you recognize these seeds/pods?

seeds/pods from second plant

o

Another shot of the whole seed head/plant #2

o

This is the dried fall foliage from plant #2.

o

The second one looks like Dutch iris.

o

Dutch Iris is a monocot. So the leaves don't fit.

o

The first picture looks like coreopsis seeds.

o

If you're still trying to figure out what those seeds pods are from, try contacting the nearest university extension office or Master Gardener organization. Your local library might be able to give you the web address of phone number. They usually offer free plant identification services. There are always Master Gardeners at my town's summer Farmers' Market and I've taken pictures to them to help identify plants in my yard. Good luck!

o

That foliage looks like it's from a peony tree. I have two different peony trees it looks alot like their foliage. Here's a link that just might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Money Gardening

o

The seed pods for no.2 are not tree peony pods.

o

They look like Scrophularia marilandica and Oenothera biennis to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here