Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When are rose hips ready to collect?

Posted by AdamM321 MA z5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 20:36

Hi,

I have some rose hips in the yard and want to collect them for seed, but I am not sure when they are ripe. How do you tell? How do you collect and prepare for sowing?

Thanks,
Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When are rose hips ready to collect?

• Posted by SusanC Z9/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 28, 05 at 15:39

Hi Adam,

As soon as the hips turn a uniform bright orange, you can collect them.

o

Thanks Susan.. I think mine have. I assume you mean from green to orange. I have two roses that have developed hips..a Penelope and a Bonica. The Penelope looks orange, but the Bonica has one green and one red. Do some turn red and not orange?

Thanks,
Adam

o

Tue, Nov 29, 05 at 21:50

Hi Adam,

Yes, in my experience, different roses turn different shades of orange, from pumpkin orange to almost red. It doesn't hurt to leave them on the bush for a while to make sure they are as ripe as they're going to get.

Re Bonica: Those hips do turn a tomato red color. I winter-sowed seeds from a "Bonica" rose 4 years ago and got 6 or 7 plants. I kept the one with the nicest blooms, and it is now a good sized rose bush. (It looks just like "Bonica", except the blooms are hot pink; I call it "Daughter of Bonica".)

o

Hi again.. :-)

Wow..that sounds great! That is just what I want to do, WS them. I didn't realize I would get crosses that were different from the parent. Will that happen even if there are no other roses near the Bonica? It is my only rose in the backyard and the Penelope is in the front yard alone too.

When you wintersowed them, did you start them in January? How large a seedling did you get the first year and how long before it bloomed?

How late should I wait to collect it?

Thanks very much, I am looking forward to seeing one sprout!

Adam

o

Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 10:35

Hi Adam,

Yes, you will definitely get roses that are at least a little different from the parent, even though there are no other roses around. Most hybrid roses have very complex ancestries, and with their offspring, you can never be sure what will bubble up from the genetic soup.

I winter-sowed in either January or February. As best as I remember, the seedlings only got maybe 6 inches tall the first year and didn't bloom until the second year. Also, the first blooms were different than the later blooms on the mature bush, (smaller, paler, not as double.) Some of the plants had butt-ugly blooms; crinkled petals, distorted centers, grayish pink color. The one I saved wasn't all that nice when it first bloomed, but it has matured into a really nice rose.

Re How late should you wait to collect it: In my climate, I just leave the hips on the bush until I'm ready to sow, but then I don't get any frost. I don't know if you need to collect before you get a freeze or not...

Hope that helps; There's nothing like having your very own, absolutely unique rose bush!

o

A freeze won't hurt rose hips....but it may dry up the stems and cause them to fall off of the plant....
Just keep an eye on them. There will be quite a few seeds inside each hip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here