Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snail vine seed pods

Posted by marybrightwells (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 20:38

At what point should seed pods of the snail vine be harvested, and how should they be kept and planted? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snail vine seed pods

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 18:59

Snail Vine is in the bean family and will develop bean like pods. Once they are dry, they are ready to be harvested.
They should be kept in an envelope in a cool, dry, and dark spot.
The link below has info from gardeners on how they start the seed and also there is a pic of a pod and seeds in the thread.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Snail Vine info

o
RE: Snail vine seed pods

Thanks for the information on the seed pods. My (prolific) vine has hundreds of seed pods...but they aren't dry yet, so I will wait. We may have our first frost tonight, but the vine is so thick, some will surely survive. (also the frosts here are mild...the Houston area).
This vine has covered (yay!) a wooden play set I inherited with this home. It has traveled up a crepe Myrtle tree and mixed with a white Mandevila..quite pretty. Although I am fascinated with it and the purple blooms are many and beautiful, I would consider this vine invasive in this zone 8.
If anyone would like photos or seed pods, drop me a note: kriace@att.net.
Thanks again Remy, for the link. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here