Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea

Posted by iluvbonsai z7b VA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 21:15

We have a coulple of Bougainvilleas in our "green house". What I was wondering is if they get any seeds on them. I know that the flowers are actually bracts with a tiny white flower in the center of the bracts, but I have never seen any seeds associated with where the flowers have died. Do they even get seeds and where would the be located if they do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 1, 04 at 9:50

Bougainvillea flowers & forms seed pods in the fall. I have seen tiny colored flowers inside the bract; not necessarily white. The pod is about 1 inch long, with tiny seeds inside.

o

Do you know how to grow them from seed? If I can get some before they drop, I'd like to try growing them from seed as long as I know how to do it.

o

Thu, Dec 2, 04 at 10:15

I am experimenting on growing them at present they are usually propagated from cutting. I would go ahead & save the pods as they seem do disappear quickly. I will repost when I have found a successful method.

o

OK, sounds great. I would think though that they would have a large problem with damping off disease. Good luck with them though. I think I'll collect a bounch of the seeds if I can before they drop and try experimenting.

o

Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 9:12

Iluvbonsai, a couple of us have had success with starting Bougainvillea from seed. They can damp off, as you were concerned about, but they can also grow. Here are the threads:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0623390313751.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0407595130694.html?27

o

Hi, has anyone had any success with growing Bougainvillea
from seed? If you have, how did you go about it?

I live in the U.K., and at the moment several pods are still on my plant, although the bracts have gone really dry, and faded looking. The pods look as if they have swollen somewhat, so l am hopeful that there may be seed/seeds inside. I don't know how long it takes for the seeds to ripen sufficiently to be gathered, or how to tell when is the right time to do so. Also, if there are any, would they have to be stored in a particular way before planting, and when would they have to be planted?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here