Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed cleaning and sanitizing / insect eggs!

Posted by wildpersimmons (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 21:32

I have a decent collection of fruit and vegetable seeds from over the last summer, and I'm looking for a good way to make sure there's no more fleshy residue on them without damaging the seedcoats. My roommate suggested a rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide but I'm concerned that these might prevent the seeds from germinating later.

The prominent issue at hand is that I've just noticed a couple sets of seeds (kiwi, kiwano, cherry) have some insect eggs (probably fruit fly) mixed with them in the paper I've stored them in. I'd like to simultaneously eliminate the eggs and clear off the residue that attracted them in the first place. Help!

best,
d

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed cleaning and sanitizing / insect eggs!

For most seeds your supposed to clean the seeds while they are fresh out of the fruit with trisodium phosphate or use a fermentation/grain alcohol soak cleaning off seed coats (simulates/completes the fruit ripening rotting cycle). Some seeds you clean with sulfuric. Its pretty seed dependent as to what kind of seed treatment you need. other seeds wont germinate until you do damage the seed coat or leach out the saponins and other inhibitors. At this point i'd suggest soaking them in a bit of diluted vodka overnight and seeing if you can rub them clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here