Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Okra Seed

Posted by kari_newgardener 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 21:59

I've decided to let the okra that's left on my plants dry out so I can save the seed and also clear out the plants to make room to plant some fall greens.

There are about 10 plants with quite a number of pods on them and I've been watching them for the last week or so and it appears it's going to take a long time for them to dry out enough that I can save the seeds.

Is there anyone who can give me a rough estimate of how long it will take for those pods to dry out enough that I can harvest the seeds? Days, weeks, months? I'd really like to get those okra plants cleared out so I can plant some spinach and peas while it's still warm enough for them to germinate. At the rate that okra seems to be drying, its not looking too hopeful for spinach and peas.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Okra Seed

Cut the stalks off at the ground and hang them up to dry on a fence etc. When the pods turn brown and get little splits all along the side, shell out the seeds. In the mean time you can re-plant whatever.

o

What are you going to do with all those seeds. I for one have been able to save enough seeds off one plant for a few years of plantings. I would leave at least one plant standing and allow the seeds to dry before harvesting those seeds. And I do not know why you cannot plant even with the plants sill in place they can be cut to remove them anyway.

o

Thanks Rockguy. I will try that.

And Wally-1936, that is a very good question! I have no idea what I'm going to do with all those seeds. I have a very small garden and enough seeds now to start a small farm. I'm just having fun with the seed saving, I guess...:)

o

Sprouted okra seeds are edible, and not bad in a stir fry. You can toast okra seeds and grind and brew for a decaf fake coffee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here