Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to propagate dogwood berries

Posted by parker806 zone 8 GA (parkervicki2000@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 22:24

can anyone tell me how to propagate the dogwood berries. my tree is loaded with them and i would like to start saplings from them. thanks for the info and please email me with any info you may have. do you have to dry them first or just plant them and let them grow? i will start them in peat pots during the winter. thanks, vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to propagate dogwood berries

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 7:14

Hi Vikki,
You need to plant them now, but not in peat pots indoors. They need to go through winter outside. Some plants seeds are designed that way. They will not germinate unless they have gone through a cold period.
You can try direct ground sowing, sowing into an open pot, or winter sowing. I much prefer winter sowing. I get a very high rate of germination with it. Lots of others agree too. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please visit the Winter Sowing forum. There is a good FAQ and lots of activity there this time of year.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

o
RE: how to propagate dogwood berries

thanks for the help. i do appreciate all the help i can get as i have never tried winter sowing before. thank, vicki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here