Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betts123_gw

Source for seed containers

betts123
18 years ago

I am discovering that collecting seeds can become obsessive. My problem is to find nice containers to store my collection in. I have found that some of the plastice food storage boxes retain too much moisture, and do not allow the seeds to dry out. I would like to find small jars - preferably clear so that I can admire my collection. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• bears15ne
    18 years ago

I bought the upright drawer storage- it works great
    then if you need more you can always add on
    I put a link to the pic below

Here is a link that might be useful: storage picture

• zenpotter
    18 years ago

Just found this source under the post for organizing seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: storage

• alison
    18 years ago

Another good trick to controlling moisture is to simply put a few grains of rice in your container.

• soil_lover
    18 years ago

I save my glass spice bottles from the grocery store. I have old spice racks that line the wall of my basement. The jars
    get labeled with the seed name and placed on the spice racks for storage.

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

I use vitamin & pill bottles, spice bottles, and those big plastic things that you can get grated cheese in, etc. Always have enough as those are only needed for big collections. Also use plastic containers that have lids, pint sized and smaller. Otherwise envelopes work well for small amounts of seed. I save the envelopes that come in my junk mail for that. Why buy anything to save free seeds?!? Seems funny to me. I am thinking of buying some official seed envelopes, though, since I sometimes sell seeds on ebay.

Marcia

• betts123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, folks! Lots of good ideas. I also just thought that maybe my local dollar store might have a cheap spice rack that would work. Thanks again.

• led_zep_rules
    18 years ago

Baby food jars are also an excellent size for seeds, if you know anyone with a baby. Or just ask on freecycle for someone to save them for you. They you have a lovely matching jar set for your seeds. :-)

Marcia

• jessica2000
    18 years ago

Being in a climate with high humidity, I use the white plastic film canisters. They work wonderfully.

• debraq
    18 years ago

I save the dessicating packets from new shoes, new oveer the counter drugs like Excedrin. You can ask at the shoe store too. Thye may sell you some or just give them to you. I also use mayonaisse jars, peanut butter jars, and jelly jars too.

• peacegecko_gmail_com
    13 years ago

save old teabag envelopes- especially the metal lined ones, they are good for bringing to seed swaps and sharing seeds, can easily be stapled or taped, the metal ones can hold closed well when folded.

Sponsored
More Discussions