Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for seed containers

Posted by betts123 z5NH (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 22:53

I am discovering that collecting seeds can become obsessive. My problem is to find nice containers to store my collection in. I have found that some of the plastice food storage boxes retain too much moisture, and do not allow the seeds to dry out. I would like to find small jars - preferably clear so that I can admire my collection. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for seed containers

I bought the upright drawer storage- it works great
then if you need more you can always add on
I put a link to the pic below

Here is a link that might be useful: storage picture

o

Just found this source under the post for organizing seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: storage

o

Another good trick to controlling moisture is to simply put a few grains of rice in your container.

o

I save my glass spice bottles from the grocery store. I have old spice racks that line the wall of my basement. The jars
get labeled with the seed name and placed on the spice racks for storage.

o

I use vitamin & pill bottles, spice bottles, and those big plastic things that you can get grated cheese in, etc. Always have enough as those are only needed for big collections. Also use plastic containers that have lids, pint sized and smaller. Otherwise envelopes work well for small amounts of seed. I save the envelopes that come in my junk mail for that. Why buy anything to save free seeds?!? Seems funny to me. I am thinking of buying some official seed envelopes, though, since I sometimes sell seeds on ebay.

Marcia

o

Thanks, folks! Lots of good ideas. I also just thought that maybe my local dollar store might have a cheap spice rack that would work. Thanks again.

o

Baby food jars are also an excellent size for seeds, if you know anyone with a baby. Or just ask on freecycle for someone to save them for you. They you have a lovely matching jar set for your seeds. :-)

Marcia

o

Being in a climate with high humidity, I use the white plastic film canisters. They work wonderfully.

o

I save the dessicating packets from new shoes, new oveer the counter drugs like Excedrin. You can ask at the shoe store too. Thye may sell you some or just give them to you. I also use mayonaisse jars, peanut butter jars, and jelly jars too.

o

save old teabag envelopes- especially the metal lined ones, they are good for bringing to seed swaps and sharing seeds, can easily be stapled or taped, the metal ones can hold closed well when folded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here