Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutchman's Pipe vine

Posted by magicnificent z8 EastTexas (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 16, 06 at 23:45

I have been trying to find the seeds of the Dutchman's Pipe Vine for years and never find them. I let my flowers fall to the ground and wait until they are dried. Then, I look in the "pipe" and find nothing. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Dutchman's Pipe vine

I have never saved/found any seeds in my Dutchman's pipe vine, however I was left with two packs from a swap that I hosted in October. Can't attest to the viability of the seeds, but you are welcomed to a pack if you want one. At least we can see what they look like...maybe. Email me if you do.
Diana

o
RE: Dutchman's Pipe vine

The Dutchman's pipe make an oblong pod/pouch when they make seeds, it is green, turning brown when it matures and splits open. I have seeds for A. clematitis and A. trilobata if you would like to trade for something. Stacy

o

I have the tropical type, it is either A.elegans or A.durior. It was called Calico flower type by the nursery people. The bell of the flower is about the size of my open palm 3" cross or so. After the flower drops the seed pod forms and looks like an upside umbrella when open. I have tons of seeds if you want some email me through my page and I will send you some. I have the best luck with nature planting the seed but I think that is because you don;t plant them deep in the dirt. They do need moist rich soil.

o

I don't know the species of my Dutchman's pipe. It has brown "pipes" and leaves with three well-defined lobes. I have not found any seeds inside the dried flowers either. But yesterday, I noticed many tiny (1/16 inch) seeds attached to the underside of some of the leaves. But I also found a small (3 inch) cucumber shaped pod but it doe not look mature yet.
I am going to try propagating some of the leaf seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here