Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suecirish

Bugs in seeds -) will freezing work?

suecirish
15 years ago

Apparently a batch of small flying insects - rather flea-like in appearance and size - arrived with one of the seed trades I have recently received. They don't bite, and there are not many at this point, but I don't want them turning into a swarm for Christmas. I think I have heard that freezing will kill any bugs and eggs (so they don't hatch new ones). Can someone confirm this and any details? Like how long do they need to be in the freeze - should it be freezer rather than refrigerator temp -

I'm planning to take ALL my seeds now, including my own which had not previously been a problem, and put them in bunches in zip-locks and into the freezer. Will this do the trick?

Thanks for any info...

Sue

Comments (8)

• suecirish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy, thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure they are not weevils. I really don't have beans, and I haven't seen any in the hollyhock or hibiscus seeds. They do fly quickly, kind of like fruit flies, but not quick enough to avoid getting caught - but they are not where fruit flies usually hang out. I suppose they could be fungus gnats. I'm going to do the freezing anyway, just to make sure. I have inspected all my houseplants and I don't see any evidence of pests there.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

I found some bugs in my own envelope of some redbud tree seeds. I left the envy out on the patio for a few days. It definitely froze out there. When I brought the envy back in and eventually opened it, there were more bugs in it.

Personally, Id rather throw the seeds out rather than putting buggy seeds in my freezer. The bugs goon me out. Not to mention that if hubby found out I was freezing bugs, Id prolly have to throw the whole fridge out and replace it! He's even more goonier than me!

:)
    D

:)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Lol Doris! I'm not sure if my husband knows I'm freezing hollyhock seeds to kill the weevils or not... well he was an eagle scout so I suppose he's ok with it, lol. You don't need to put them in the freezer if they give you the heebie jeebies, but anyone wanting to save hollyhocks or beans is probably going to have to overcome their squeamishness or buy an extra freezer just for seeds, lol.

I should clarify. Putting seeds outside when it is below 32 is not going to work. To kill weevils, it actually takes 3 whole days at zero. Since sustained temps at or near zero aren't going to happen to most people, a home freezer needs to be used. The week in the freezer is because not all home fridges run that cold all the time so extra time is added on to make sure the bugs die.
    Remy

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

I have read that putting a few dried super-hot peppers in with your seeds helps, too, if the container is air-tight. The fumes hurt the bugs. Clove powder certainly works to keep ants away !

• Betty Hatch
    7 years ago

I found many bugs in my Hibiscus seeds This was the first article I found that explained what was happening. I had a feeling that the bugs somehow where inside the seed. So, does this mean my seeds will not sprout?

• chervil2
    7 years ago

Check through your seed carefully to assess the level of damage. You may still have many viable seeds. If you are not ready to plant yet, you can arrest the insect damage by placing the seed packet in the freezer.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    7 years ago

Ditto. Even if you find bugs in a batch of seed, some of the seed may still be viable. As already mentioned, freezing will kill both seed-eating insects, and their eggs. It needs to be a deep freeze, though, about 0 F. degrees. Most refrigerator iceboxes will not get cold enough.

I have twice received infested bean seed (once from a commercial source!) and both times, several days in a deep freeze completely eliminated the weevils. As a preventive measure, I quarantine any newly received seed in a zip lock bag, until I know it is clean.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor
More Discussions