Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandmsmom

saving squash seeds

nandmsmom
17 years ago

I am quite new to this, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am wondering if saving seeds for summer, winter and pumpkin squashes is as simple as it seems. Do I just pull them out and dry them before cooking the rest? Should the squash be a certain size before doing this?

Thanks so much

Heather

Comments (16)

• streamy22
    17 years ago

Hello nandsmom,
    We have saved seeds for summer squash and found that the bigger the squash the bigger the seeds. Picking when squash is starting to soften makes it easier to extract the seeds from the fruit. You can also pick and let it sit for a few days. After extracting the seeds let them dry, and store in a dark room for the winter.

Winter squash and pumpkins is as simple as pulling the seeds out and letting them dry. Then we store the seed in an old mason jars in a dark room or building.

Also if you have bought the fruit or grown it yourself near other gourds, squash, or pumpkins you may get a mixed up mess. Have you ever seen a gourd mixed with a butternut squash, it isn't that pretty.

Happy Holidays,
    David Burton

• nandmsmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks David. I'm wondering how I prevent the cross pollination? I don't have a large garden, so everything is close together. I'd really like to save seeds from anything I possibly can.

Thanks

Heather

• nandmsmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Remy,

Thanks so much for that explanation. It was exactly what I needed to know.

Heather

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

You're welcome Heather: )
    Remy

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Nandmsmom, the home gardener can easily save squash seed - even with more than one in the same species - by blossom bagging. There was a good discussion of this in the Vegetable Forum, the link to the thread is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand-pollinating squash

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Zeedman is quite right about hand pollinating and bagging blossoms. I just assumed(and I could be very wrong) that a person with "mom" in their GW name has barely enough time to garden let alone worry about pollinating and bagging : )
    Remy

• nandmsmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Remy, you are so right. I think I'll be buying, or swapping for squash seed.

Heather

• northernmich
    17 years ago

Take seeds from the best one, dry them as noted. Once they are dry, you need to shuck off the dried on coating. The seed revealed is very white and glossy. This seed is then stored dry or frozen and ready to plant for the next season.

Many like to sprout them first or plant them point down into the soil.

• ljpother
    14 years ago

Remy,

If I read your Dec 06 post correctly the seed I saved from a golden hubbard Cucurbita maxima shouldn't have crossed with the butternut Cucurbita moschata growing next to it.

It would be an interesting cross -- both are good tasting veggies.

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Ljpother,
    You are correct. It would be interesting. When squash can cross, a lot of unusual babies often occur.
    Remy

• brewguy85
    13 years ago

Crosses can be a plus sometimes. Look at Stripetti for instance, which is most likely a cross between a Delicata and Spaghetti variety.

• captaindirt
    11 years ago

Can someone explain to me again just what I need to do to save zucchini seeds next year.
    I picked an average size zucchini this year and let it set in the garden (off the vine)for a month and turn orangeish yellow before taking the seeds. The seeds seemed pretty thin compared to what I had from the seed company. Do I need to let the Zucchini stay on the vine and get huge and yellow before picking it or what, also just what do they mean when they say grow to full materity?

Thanks

• Susan6756
    10 years ago

Csptaindirt, I have the exact question you asked. Did you find an answer, and what was it? I have a large zucchini on the vine currently, and I would like to save the seeds :)

• cousinfloyd
    10 years ago

Summer squash like zucchini needs to be left on the vine until it gets hard like a winter squash if you want to save seed.

• randarand97
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for that explanation. It was exactly what I needed to know.

Here is a link that might be useful: شرÙØ© تÙظÙÙ ÙاجÙات زجاج Ùحجر باÙرÙاض