Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

old seeds

Mary4b
19 years ago

I bought some old seed packets at a garage sale about two years ago...some of the seed packets go back to the 1980s but most are the 1990's. Do you think they would still be viable and worth trying? I want to do the winter sowing with many of them. Also, I think they may have been out in my unheated garage during the winter, so many probably been frozen and thawed numerous times in their packets. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Comments (13)

• magus
    19 years ago

My suggestion? Seeds from the 80's probably won't be viable, but it never hurts to try. Who knows? I WSed a bunch of year-and-a-half-old corydalis seeds, which aren't supposed to last more than six months or so, and got one out of about 25 seeds. I eventually managed to kill it, but that's another story... ;) But it never hurts to give it a try nonetheless. Some seeds can last a looooong time.

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

I agree; I'd try. I have a few that were harvested by a friend in the mid 90's. I just don't have the heart to simply throw them out, so I'm going to throw them down in a bare area (new, out of the way, small bed) and see what happens. You never know...

• Rosa
    19 years ago

Never hurts to try.
    I had the same situation some years ago with seeds found in an old, windowless shed. Common veggies and garden flowers. The seeds were were from WWII (in excess of 30 years old at the time). All germinated at amazing rates.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

I found a pack from 1989 - godieta and they germinated. You never know with seeds, I've had fresh seed not germinate and old seed grow. I've also had old seed germinate and not take a hold. I've wondered if this was because of the age of the seed. Probably something I did.

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

I just found a bunch of commercial packets from 1996-2000 in my basement. Most of them I'm offering up as trades, just for anyone that wants to give them a shot. But, I'll be wintersowing, just a few (of what interests me), to see what happens. Nothing at all to lose...

• User
    19 years ago

I understand seeds have been found in ancient Egyptian tombs and they germinated...

• RobbN_6b_ONT
    19 years ago

Use the 'Deno Method'.

• Octogenarian
    19 years ago

Try a few in a a pot with potting soil. Keep warm, 75-80°. That's a way to check without wasting a lot of time on duds.

• JanetGranny
    19 years ago

Ok What is the 'Deno Method'??

JanetGranny

• baci
    19 years ago

The Deno method is the paper towel & baggie method. Norm Deno, a chemist who wrote on horticulture, named the method after himself. He did not invent it, however, as I have books that detailed this method long before he published.
    The baggie method is a good method for old seeds. I am germinating seeds much older than yours using various media with this method.

• tomgyrll
    19 years ago

Baci, and others who've germinated old seed, do you also soak in peroxide or Miracle Gro or any of the other additives like chamomile tea, beer, etc.? Other techniques for success? I have some 35 year old tomato seed I'd really like to germinate though I know the likelihood of success is slim.

• Crazy_Gardener
    19 years ago

I'm did the baggie method with some old Vinca Mediterranean Deep Rose seed that was purchased way back in 2001. The seed was stored in ziplock bags and refrigerated, so I should have a possibility of some germinating. Wish me luck!

Tomgyrll, I spray a squirt of diluted Damp Off in the baggie, just for extra insurance for any fungus.

Sharon

• baci
    19 years ago

Tomgyrll, do not put peroxide on the tomato seed. It will work for some seeds, but it can hamper germination of tomato seeds. I germinate my tomatoes in peat with the baggie method. I started about 20 varieties & sprayed them with peroxide, & another 20 I just used water. The tomatoes sprayed with peroxide germinated poorly, whereas the ones I used just water had 100% germination. Both were from the same lot.

Peroxide works for some seeds, but if you have a special tomato seed, I would not advise it.

If you have a plenty of seeds, try germinating 1-2 of the tomato in the baggie of peat. Not all seeds like peat, but the tomato seeds seem to do OK in it. Place the seed in moist sphagnum & put it in a warm place. I spritz the peat with a clean spray bottle. Germination of a fresh seed should be within a week. After it germinates, I put it in a pot of peat, & place the whole pot in a baggie. If you have the room, that might be a better way to start.

Sponsored
More Discussions