Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird things..maybe sum1 can help?

Posted by daniellalell 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 07 at 12:34

OK, I was just outside getting some flower pots together..saw a loner in a flower bed grabbed it..went to stick my hand in to get out the ice and leaves and saw these right before I touched them..First thought was that they were some type of insect eggs, having that sac around them like they do. Posted on the insect forum, then realized while looking at the pic that a couple don't have the sac. This pot was laying next to a basil plant which now is covered with seed pods..SO I am wondering if these are basil seeds? Do they get this weird sac when they get wet or something? Sorry for the large pix but I thought it would be better to see what I am talking about..
Photobucket
Photobucket

Any help would be appreciated..
thanks,
Daniella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird things..maybe sum1 can help?

My first instinct would be frog eggs, but there aren't seeds in a translucent casing that I can think of except lychee

o

fish eggs had crossed my mind, but this was never in the pond..I have never seen frogs in my yard, though I would love that. It's def not lychee, I don't have any.
Thank you for your opinion.
Daniella

o
weird things....maybe sum1 can help? plz

O I think they may be salamander eggs? I posted in the reptile & amphibian forum..I hope I didn't kill them.
thank you

o

I think you're right that they are basil seeds. I started many types of basil from seed last year, and some of them seemed to have a gel coating that expanded like that when they were germinating.

o

Thank you bitterwort! I noticed today with all the ice melted outside, that now there are many more all over around the basil plant, the pot, and the ground all around it. Plus if you look in the pic you can see that the one looks as if it is coming out of the seed pod that fell off the plant. Darn, I was really starting to hope I had salamander eggs, lol.
Thank you very much!
Daniella

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here