Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

I'm a Seed Snatcher 2

trudi_d
20 years ago

The last thread was so excellent I thought it would be good to continue it.....

I suppose that at sometime ethics should come into discussion....such as not touching endangered species, trampling other people's plantings to get the seeds you desire or saving seeds of obnoxious weeds just so you can have something to trade.

Last week the cart-boy (of all people) at the Stop & Shop nearly scared the daylights out of me when I was gathering mature bush seeds from the meridian plantings between the car rows. (Obviuosly NOT an endangered species) I was bent over and totally engrossed because the mechanism for dispersal was so fascinating to me. These pods were small white spongy balls and as they swelled they pushed out one electric red-orange seed. It was like neon flashing at me in electric orange....pick me....pick me.....pick me. So I was picking them.

"What are you doing?"

Uh, uh, uh....I teach gardening, let me show you this fascinating thing.....

So, two minutes later the cart-boy knew more about saving seeds than he wanted and I drove off with a pocket full of electric red-orange seeds. They're now drying on a plate behind me, the spongy balls have dessicated and the seeds are still the same size and same color.

Ahhhh. I'm a seed snatcher!

T

Comments (150)

• gardeningwithbaby
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have to admit that I too am a seed snatcher. I take my girls on walks around the town and we take baggies with us and "deadhead" the flowers along the way. I have introduced myself to the owners and explained what I am doing when I first moved here so now when they see me bending over the plants they know what I am up to. My 2 yr old loves to help me clean seeds and then plant them. It gets messy but you know how little helpers are, you can't discourage them too much.

Stacie

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I'm only barely a seed snatcher: I have a small baggie of Moraea? Acidanthera? (well, some kind of South African Iris relative) seeds that I noticed on a visit to California last Fall. I gathered a few, and will be sowing them shortly.

Other than that, if anything, people help themselves to seed from plants in MY garden, provided I haven't chased them down and forced them to take plants/seeds/cuttings in the first place! If you don't want bearded iris, it is well to avoid my house and about 100 yards in any direction in July, or at least make sure I'm not out digging.

I noticed, though, that several of you mentioned photographing the plants whose seed you are gathering--that's a great idea for ID! I do photograph a lot of plants as a way to take notes on plants I might want for my own garden, and provided more than a little amusement for passers-by when I visited England in 2004.

I have never been above getting down on my hands and knees, or laying stretched-out to get a good shot of a plant I find interesting, and here I was, this size-18 redhead in a wool overcoat, hiking boots and jeans (can you say Obviously American?) sprawled on a lawn in a park with the most beautiful stand of Crocus speciosus interspersed with some sort of brown mushrooms. People pay a lot more attention to plants if someone is photographing them, especially if the photographer isn't just standing up. Funnier still, people started asking me about the plants I was photographing, and the next thing I knew, I was nattering on about the plants, their latin names, how to grow them--being what the English call an "anorak" (translation: "nerd").

I've also been known to suddenly just wander away, apparently into a group of bushes, when visiting California. I just HAVE to see what the plant is like up close...

Lisa

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Gosh Lisa, You've just described me! (Except I've nowadays got dirtyblonde hair.) I do have relatives in Cal. on both parents sides that I haven't ever met--I wonder if we're second cousins or some far more distant relationship.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Trudi, we are DEFINITELY related if you find yourself wondering HOW in blazes you managed to get dirt in your bra and underpants while gardening, and what's more, you do it EVERY time you do more than just stand outside looking at things in your garden :-)

Lisa

• debraq
    18 years ago

Well, I have to admit I don't particulary like the term "Seed Snatcher". I prefer thinking that I am "helping" Mother Nature spread her glory, even if its only inside my own garden,lol.
    I go to a local university botanical garden and the first time I liberated some seeds, I felt so guilty and ashamed. I really felt like a thief. But no one was around to ask if I could collect seeds.
    The next time I went, I did find the head prof.,Master gardener..I guess. I asked if I could collect seeds and he told me to feel free to collect whatever I wanted. I nearly shouted out with glee, but I was afraid I would scare the man half to death.
    I always come prepared with plastic baggies,pruners and markers so I don't harm the parent plant.
    But one time.....I have to admit I went seed crazy. They had those really tall obelisks about 12 ft tall with glorious Moonflower vines growing right up to the tops. They were placed inside a circle of roses. At first I gathered the pods that were at the edges. But then the seed sickness took over my brain and before I knew it, I was inside the bed with the rose thorns sticking into my legs and arms. I collected at least 6 brown lunch sacks worth of moonflower pods before the Prof. who gave me permission started to scream at me. I thought he was yelling at me because I was taking the seeds, and I started to explain that he gave me permission before.
    But No, he wasn't mad at me for that at all. You know why he was freaking out. I was standing inside of the raised bed! I almost started crying, explaining that I surely knew better and I kept apolygising to him. I offered to correct what I had done but he told me to just get out of the bed and to never do that again. I asked ( the awful nerve of me) if I could still collect seeds and he said of course, but to never go into his beds again.
    Boy, was my face red!
    btw, the suggestion to take pic's of what we are collecting is a great idea because that often happens to me. I see a pretty plant or flower, see the seeds and pluck away without ever knowing what in the world it is!
    Ok, I'll admit it, I am a seed snatcher, and I think we should form a group like AA,only we can call ourselves Seed Snatchers Anyomous (sp?)....SSA!
    Deb :)

• reign
    17 years ago

I'm rather surprised to see seed snatching without permission is such a common hobby. While some of the posts were down right funny, where I live, seed stealing is such a frustrating and intrusive offense.

Last summer a few ladies found out the expensive way that seed collecting at a nursery is shoplifting.

• gardenmaker79
    17 years ago

ok heres something I found out. I also am a seed snatcher but I also snatch plants. If I see something I like I will ask the owner if I can have a small slip. Normally I can get them. this past I did this. Theres some really nice flowers along side the road and its a gravel road so I asked the land owner if i could have this flower (bush). She says yes so I'm all excited as I leave. I go get a shovel and pitch fork not wanting to hurt the bush. What i didn't know is I had to dig to CHINA to get the roots. All I could do is say oh my what did I get into. BUT I got the bush and quick put it in water dug another hole to CHINA and planted it. Wow what an expernise that was. But this plant was worth it.
    Gardenmaker79

• organic_nut
    17 years ago

OMG the world is overrun with SEED SNATCHERS. no wonder I have a hard time getting to those seeds on time.

Daylilies are nothing. grab all those seeds.

Now I Know where to get some great seeds. Have not been there in 10 years. have to go back and try. maybe this year. I got some 10 years ago but they did not germinate. not a one. darn.

they come up wild in the lawn and the stupid maintanence people mow them all down. chop them up with the lawn mower. oh god. what a waste. I tried to dig some up with a spoon before they got chopped but none lived. I think they wanted to mow me down. haha.

it was fun. I have to go back and get at least one to live.

• kaydee216
    17 years ago

My name is Kathy and I am a compulsive seed snatcher. LOL I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I draw the line at trespassing, I don't go on to other peoples property but what ever I can reach form the the sidewalk is fair game to me. I actually have never thought of doing it in a nursery, but I don't see why you shouldn't. They probably aren't going to collect the seeds most of those plants are grown commercially and they buy them. I do sneak, but that is not because I feel like I am stealing. I just think most people wouldn't understand, they would think I was crazy. I love growing petunias from collected seeds, I know they are hybrids and they don't come true but you can get some really nice ones if you grow a lot of them. I think it is the anticipation of seeing what I get that attracts me to growing them. A few seeds nobody is going to miss, that's not so bad. Oh, I did take a cutting once. It was a local store that was sold plans out in the parking lot in the spring and summer. They had this really nice variegated spider plant, it was way over priced so just snipped off one of the babies and slipped it in my pocket. I swear I felt like a shoplifter, I never did it again, but I was rewarded with a beautiful spider plant.
    One night many years ago I caught an old woman in my parents front garden, It was late, after midnight, and I happened to glance out the window and this woman was digging up my mothers rose bush. I swear she had a little shovel and was digging up a rose bush. That is taking it too far.

• maureen23
    17 years ago

Hmmm. So that's my new label....seed snatcher/collector. My most recent 'find' was at a large top-end outdoor shopping area. Unfortunately I have no idea what the plant is or if it can be grown from seeds. I'm in San Antonio Texas and these plants weren't in sunny or shady areas, just interspersed throughout the landscaping. The plant seems to be some type of succulent/grass with very long thin 'leaves'(I hesitate to use that word) which curl almost making a tube of each leaf. The plant growth seems to be self-limited and most mature-looking plants were about 50 inches in diameter overall. (The leaves closest to the ground were approximately two feet long on each side) Plant had rounded shape overall. There are multiple four feet plus thin stems with many red (yellow??? bad memory)flowers on each. The weight of the flowers seems to pull the stems down in an arc similar to an orchid. Once the flowers are gone the seed pods dry out and hold quite a few black seeds that remind me of pumpkin seeds, minus the white strip and smaller. The dry pods are made of three identical parts (total size about same as medium walnut). Each section splits in half and each side has seeds layered orderly in it. How amazing is Mother Nature? The pods also have sharp spikes at the top as I discovered when I overloaded my jeans pocket. Ouch. I have to say that putting these pods in my jeans pocket was a cheap, though painful method of threshing. I just wish I knew what I have collected and how to grow them. Too bad my wandering mind (looking for other types of seeds)didn't recall the digital camera I carry in my purse. RE: Others making comments about collecting seeds; I was surprised when a passer-by made a somewhat joking comment about what I was doing. I acted hard of hearing. Can anyone help me out with IDing this flower? Texas, landscape (perhaps xeroscape)succulent?, flowers, large seed pods.

Whatever the opposite of green is, that is the color of my thumb(s). Neighbors on either side seem to look at their plants and they prosper, mine die. I have even managed to kill a vinca and an asparagus fern (which my talented neighbors assured me no one could finish off--HA!). Hopefully these seeds can be used and are truly hardy.

Thanks for any help sent.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

This thread made me laugh. I've been a seed and cutting snatcher for as long as I can remember. I can't help myself , if I see something that I like and know I won't damage the plant I go for it. We took the kids to Hershey Park, Pa last week. I was surprised at the beautiful landscaping and came home with a purse full of seeds and about 30 stem cuttings. I've also managed to sneak some seeds and cuttings through customs when returning from various vacations. It drives my husband nuts. lol
    Karyn

• coloradobird
    17 years ago

I collect seed sometimes at a public site, but I don't take from a private garden without permission. I wouldn't like people rummaging around in my flowers without asking me first (what if I was planning to collect those seeds myself?).

I'm too much of a chicken to do it in a nursery or store.

I generally have a theory that if I have to hide what I'm doing, I shouldn't be doing it, but I make an exception when it comes to collecting a few seeds here and there. ;) (Is that called hypocrisy, or what?--well things aren't always black and white, are they?)

There are some hilarious stories here!

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'd never take anything from a private residence without permission but I do admit to taking from nurseries (seed only) and public gardens (seeds & cuttings).
    Karyn

• maidinmontana
    17 years ago

my sis and I just returned from a 5 hour long road trip (oneway) so on the way she got an education in seed gathering, winter sowing and the such. I am a newbie to the forums and for now that's all I think about. Anyway when we arrived at our destination I walked thru the motel grounds and "snatched" red stella lilies, which got her all excited, to actually be a part of the process. Then I spotted some sunflowers but had to get the scissors out of the truck for those, she again was very excited. After returning from our trip we stopped at DM house for supper. She had a tossed salad which included cukes, toms, and green onion from uncles garden. So I grabbed a baggie and all the scraps went in it for my compost pile. When I hugged sis bye, she asked if I was taking the leftover salad home, I said no its scraps for my stink pile, she said yer always thinkin aren't you. I repled by saying "you'll thank me when you get your plants next year. She is now an avid GW'er.

• albertar
    17 years ago

Today while pumping gas in my car, I found that I could actually reach the planter that help some beautiful carnation flowers (red, my favorite color) that were going to seed. One hand on the pump and the other reaching out to the planted I did manage to grab a few of the drying tops of the plants and pocket them before anyone noticed. Since I have given so many seed packages out to newbies and usually don't ask for a trade when dealing with the seed exchange I felt pretty comfortable doing this, LOL. I've also got my eye on some real tall cannas growing at the nursing home where dad is now, waiting for those babies to produce seeds.
    Alberta

• pmad
    17 years ago

this weekend I harvested seeds from my pink hibiscus, some marigolds, and other things in the yard

And I looked across the street, the idiot that lives there has red hibiscus and yellow marigolds. I'll go over there and raid his seeds!

• happycthulhu
    17 years ago

I stopped in front of a large old home today and snatched some Red hardy Hibiscus seeds today.
    I've been watching this plant for about 2 years now and it produces the deepest red flowers I've seen.
    Well, wouldn't you know it, I got caught.
    I ran right up to the plant and didn't notice the owner sitting on his porch until I looked up and saw his "What the hell?" look.
    I said, "Uhhhhhh, is it ok if I take some seeds?"
    He said sure, take as many as you want.
    Sometimes being a fool will help people like you.

• sandrawilcox_mindspring_com
    17 years ago

LOL!!! I've never heard of seed snatchers... I just read an article in Southern Living yesterday, encouraging all of us southern gardeners to snatch seeds from roadsides to plant for fall color!

Now, I have zinnia seedpods (in my own yard) should I just sow them now? or should I wait until spring?

• peppermintpatt
    17 years ago

I only found this thread today, but I read every one of them.
    My love of flowers started when I was a little girl in Durham, NC. One day, I picked some beautiful yellow daffodils only to be told by older kids that I was going to make Mrs. N mad. I promptly stuck them back in with the other flowers. That night, Mrs N came to our house with
    info from someone that I was the culprit (the flowers all drooped!). I received a spanking and had no flowers to show for it. I learned a valued lesson....ask. Most people will say yes, especially if you are not greedy. I have moved to the NC coast and have purchased tons of seeds the past few years with little success. I have purchased seeds on ebay, most of which have not germinated. I have not given up. I do study other yards in our neighborhood for
    success. Since I live on the "third row" from the ocean year round, we have become the neighborhood watch. Neighbors are always glad to share. I do take baggies with me in the car and anything I see with shedding seeds, on
    parking lots,etc...I do at least give them a shot a life
    by planting them. I also share with others. Keep the thread going, we are all kindred spirits!

• amazon
    17 years ago

This is a great thread. I'm not alone anymore. I never take from someone without asking though. So far I have never been told no. And roadsides are a freebie. This year I'm on the hunt for butterfly bush. it grows wild here so I should be able to find plenty. At work there are plenty of plants I can't wait to identify this Spring. i had spotted some echinacia last summer when I started and this winter they bulldozed the entire are. I should have snatched them but only worked here for a few weeks. now they know I'm a plant nut and will let me have them. I also have my eye on a small shrub/tree with purple berries on it right now. i need to get it before they bulldoze it too. but I don't know what it is yet.

• bethanyatg
    16 years ago

A friend of mine goes to the old little cemetaries and gets cuttings from the really old rose bushes. The ones that you can smell from the other sied of your yard. She has an amazing rose collection. If I were buried there I would be happy to share the plants that were planted in my honor.

• galium
    16 years ago

This is a terrific thread.

I'm a seed snatcher too. One time I had my DH with me at a garden center. Their daylilies all had seed pods just begging to be picked. My DH told me I was stealing... Right-the seeds were just going to fall on the ground. I decided that it would be best if he wasn't around when I collected. One day we were at a mall and I noticed all of the pine trees had perfect cones for crafting. Again DH was with me. I just walked around and picking up fallen cones; at the same time eying the trees packed with them. My DH was watching me when I decided to collect some from the trees. I only took the ones that came off easily. DH finally came over and helped me. I ended up with 30 perfect little pine cones. Hey, what are seeds for anyway.....proliferation of the species right?

• frugal_gary
    16 years ago

So ,this is where the real outlaws of the gardenweb are!!! I stay in the veggies and soil forum most of the time . The composters call themselves "whakos" when they get out of control.
    I think most of yall should turn yourselves in,mabe they will have mercy.
    At least some of yall know how to start; my name is______,and I am a seed stealer. Remember, admission is the first step to recovery,[there is no cure].
    As I read it got worse and worse,from hearing voices telling you to do it , to stealing from the state ,college, church ,funeral home, gravesite, old lady down the street and total strangers!!!
    WOW yall have all the fun and I just pick up a few bags of leaves by the curb[well they were going to the dump anyway ,right].
    In my own defence I don't steal seeds[not patient enough], but I have "liberated" a few plants from my neighbors flowerbed when they were gone,[they were overcrowded and neglected anyway,right]
    Isn't gardening exiting if you know how to do it!!!!

• kek19
    16 years ago

I'm new to growing from seed, but I'll admit it, I've thought about it while walking thru a nursery. I'll probally come back in a few months and admit to seed snatching.

• spicymeadow
    16 years ago

Y'all have inspired me... I have never gone seed/cutting snatching before... never even though of it really (I'm a VERY new gardener). Today however, while taking a walk with my darling husband, we discovered a rose bush, by a mall that is about to be bull dozed. Needless to say, we came home, grabbed a shovel and a pot and went on a rescue mission!! We now have a beautiful red rose bush in a large container by our garage and it looks lovely. I hope I can keep it going... Now if only I could figure out a way to transplant some of the honeysuckle they have growing around there, I would be a happy girl...

• headeranderson
    16 years ago

I always take my camera with me and everyone thinks i am taking photos...little do they know.

heather

• leecb
    16 years ago

I had no idea that seed snatching was an actual condition until I saw this thread.
    I was at the grocery store with my mom yesterday looking at their dwindling collection of plants, now 3 for $10.
    I saw a salmon pink oriental poppy waaaaaaay past bloom and snapped the seed pod off.
    My mom didnt miss a beat, she pulled out a candy wrapper from her purse and quietly handed it to me. I ended up getting two which we split.
    No way was I going to pay $3 something for dying foliage.
    I consider it the same as the people who test the grapes and cherries before they buy them. ;)

• seeders_husband
    16 years ago

Hello all my wife and i are seed snatchers. as i was sitting here reading this post to my wife, she popped up and said "honey I think we need to take a seed snatching trip" we have hit lowes, home depot, asked before taking at the local nursery, i was working cutting down limbs from trees and my boss told me i was going to have to clean out his vehicle because everytime i went to a job i came away with either a plant, cuttings, or seeds, which just tickled my wife to no end.

thank you all for the good laughs and memories

• mrs_seeders_husband
    16 years ago

Wellllll I am soooooooooooo glad there are more of you out there than just me!!!! I took some from my oral surgeons office and doctor's office. STILL don't know if I took the right thing at the right time though! hehe. Very very new at gardening here. I use to have a 'black' thumb. I would just look at a plant too long and it would die. But since seeders_husband and I got married and bought a house, he tells me my thumb skipped green and went straight to gold. Now several seedlings have died on me, but I have had alot of luck as well. I tell my co-workers that these seedlings are like my children. Good thing that I won't go to jail over the ones that I have killed, LOL. anyways... thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one out there.

• marykayeee
    16 years ago

For a good laugh, visit the topic, "Is it ok to gather seeds from a botonical (sic) garden". They think seed snatching is a felony! LOL

• jim_6b
    16 years ago

Well I've been reading this thread off and on but never responded. I'm not sure if I would be considered a seed snatcher or not because I ask permission if there is someone to ask and there is usually someone to ask. I have gone into banks, businesses, grocery stores and even the information desk at rest stops if I see something planted outside that has gone to seed. I will even pull into someones driveway, knock on their door and ask. I do not take seed from botanical gardens or from plants that are for sale. There is a big debate as to whether this is legal or not. I say if you want to know, grab you a big handfull of seed and go to the store manager and tell them what you are doing. If someone came into my yard and asked if they could have some seed I would let them have have some. I might even get the shovel out and dig them up some plants. Come into my yard without permission and were going to be doing a three legged race to the hospital to remove my foot from your rear end.

• sib5
    16 years ago

This is my first hit on this site. Thank you All for that side-splitting read. You are definitely turning me on to a growing 'obsession' um, 'learning experience'. So far I've made just a couple of forays out, just to learn to 'identify' plants. Brought back a couple of "samples" though, on my nightly walks on the bike trail and roadside. Thanks for all the eer, 'suggestions'. Luckily I'm not as hopelessly addicted as some of you are...so far! As a newly-recruited SEED GLEANER I feel absolutely positive that I'm making The World a better place for all species.
    JUDGE NOT! lest YE BE JUDGED!

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

I just happened upon this site while looking for seed saving information. I did not know this was such a disease!! My sister and her husband perfected it some years ago and did it internationally - even used to travel with a small set of pruners for clippings, but they now have an A-1 garden - was actually on the Victory Garden once - and I believe they have stopped. I, on the other hand, had my first foray into that dept. and it back-fired. We were visitng our local Experimental Farm and there was a display of amazing Cosmos. At this time I knew nothing about gardening or flowers, but a few were seeding and I just tapped on the side of one flower and I caught the seeds and wrapped them in a tissue (of course my DH was disgusted). I planted some of the seeds next spring in our front border and the plants just took off - they grew over 6 feet tall with stems more than 1/2 inch in diameter - were flopping all over the walkway - they were filled with flowers but were so large it was a dreadful sight, a total disaster!! We could not keep them staked and had to pull them out. The ones I planted in the back re-seeded all over and it took me years to get rid of them. For that reason you will never see a Cosmos in my garden. Last year I started taking walks in my neighbourhood and when I see something I want, I leave a note in the mailbox asking permission and I have never been refused. I sometimes never meet these people because I drive over with my pruners and paper bag, and they never see me. Or I knock on the door and ask. Last year I did my first snatch - ONE lupin pod from a meadow garden on the next street, but he leaves little bowls of seeds and pods out for the taking so this was prabably just one he missed. My second was last week- a few lupin seed pods which had been missed during the 'cut back' these neighbours always do. People in our neighbourhood are very generous with seeds and you will see tubers and cuttings left by the curb with a 'free' sign for anyone to take. This week I got a phone call to collect seeds from a double, pale pink poppy which I admired one street away. They saved some for me. This summer, I got to meet the neighbours who allowed me to cut Enchinacea White Swan seed heads from their garden - I was walking by and introduced myself. They even invited me in for coffee!!! I did a kind of snatch during our visit to a Botanical Garden in China in January. A beautiful yellow dwarf Canna was full of seeds and I picked some - but I did it openly in full view of our guide so I presumed it was O.K. I now have one growing in my garden. I snatched some of the red dwarf Canna from the waterfront in Zhanjiang, but they were not ripe enough. I strongly feel, however, that snatching from a nursery is going a bit too far. I want to get some petunia seed for next year, and I will buy a few straggling plants soon to get the seed (usually about a quarter at this time of the year), rather than try to gather the seed from them in the nursery. I am just not a risk taker and I hate to be in confrontational or embarassing situations. In other words B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

This is the funniest. I thought I was all alone. Norther_or I'm with yah. I hate the fear of getting caught so always ask. I keep snack sized zip lock baggies with me most of the time, and like to collect from around the area. If it's goregous in this area, I know it's the right zone. By asking, I've met some really interesting gardeners. Wealth of knowledge, and I've never been refused.

• aggscott
    16 years ago

I have just begun my seed snatcher days and hopefully I do not get caught, I would be so embarassed! I have learned a lot from this thread though! Thanks!

Aggie

• shihtzusweet
    16 years ago

I have joined the ranks with the rest of you. I'm hooked. None from Bot. gardens or nursery's, but the rest are fair game. Only problem I am having is identifying the mother plant, when the home or business owner is not home/in (and the plant w/seeds is through the fence and over the public sidewalk.) I have alot to learn in regards to IDENTIFYING plants and their varieties. Hopefully this newbie will learn a wealth of info from the readings of all the veteran gardeners on this site. I can't wait to see if my seeds make it to seedlings, and so on etc, etc... I am truly as excited about this as a child on Christmas Day.

I also go to the city municipality area and dig through the sand mounds for those great (free) large rocks. Our city offers free dirt, mulch, sand, but they don't expect a gal to dig through just for large rocks. The guys there were wondering what was going on with me for a while.

S.

• dorisl
    16 years ago

I remember the first seeds I snatched way back in 198x...something.

Anyway, they were for castor bean plant and cleomes. I thought they were so kewl. I cleaome, I think I planted right away and the castor bean seeds, I think I carried around in my purse all winter and would occassionally take it out and admire it.

• Ann
    16 years ago

I've embarrassed my children when I get out of the car at a shopping center and say something like "oh, look at those..." My girls will say "Mom, don't you have enough seeds?" Now I have so many seeds and not enough space! LOL - I guess there are worse things to get addicted to!

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

What a way to spend saturday night,you guys had me LMAO.This is my first time over here i usually hang out at KT,Quilting and sewing,cottage and container gardening,but they have all been slow lately,so i ventured over here,and am i glad i did.Now i have to make sure i come back from time to time.

I've also been known to snatch a few seeds or a cutting from empty lots.That's how i got my Joe Pye weed plant,and a couple others.I also do a lot of seed and plant swaps with my friends,and have stopped by peoples homes and have asked for seeds or cuttings.I've never been refused.

My sister in N.Y. and i exchange seeds thru the mail,and i've also exchanged with people in Texas,and Pa.

I have alstromeria seeds drying now to send to N.Y.
    I also passed by this house on the way to wal mart that has different color alstromerias than mine and i plan on asking for some seed.Here in S.Calif they grow year round.
    Happy seed hunting
    Kathi

• jennid
    16 years ago

Glad to know there are so many of us. Me I come from a long line of seed snatchers. My grandmother was the queen of "The state relocation Project" She actually called it that. I remember her even making my mom Stop on the interstate to collect seed. OH! let there be a vacant lot and bulbs were not off limit. She collected seed no matter where she went. She was amazing. My mom is almost as bad. Me my favorite way to get seed is to go yard saling. When I see some thing I like I just ask if I can buy a cutting or some of the seed ect. So far I have not been turned down or been made to pay, they are flattered that I love there flowers enough to ask to buy some and they give them to me. Which my mother get a kick out of. She calls me the Plant begger and I call Her the Seed Theif. But every Sat she calls to see if I will go yard saling and then she wants her share of the spoils. LOL

• kek19
    16 years ago

LOL I just snatched some seeds from a nursery (the girl working didn't care) but I have NO idea what I snatched! There were 6 of the same plants, not one marked! All I know is that it was on the full sun perrenial table, and the pods looked like a pea pod! I have a LOT, they were all ripe and spliting. I guess it'll be a surprise huh?

• aggscott
    16 years ago

I did it, I finally snatched some seeds. We went to a very big garden place in PA where you walk around and look at the flowers. I couldn't help it, I took some Magnolia seeds from a beautiful tree. Ya know I waited for the hand on my shoulder the whole way around the park-"Miss, your going to have to empty you purse" I was sweating..

Then I did it again when we got the herb garden part-big huge Rue plant, how could I not they were calling me! So I took a few..just a few. They have all been dried and put away already-I can't wait to plant them next season.Watch them not work now for Karma!

Aggie

• pumkingal
    15 years ago

MY PEOPLE, I am not out their alone any more, thank you all,
    It all started when I was at my grandparents grave site, yup. I was planting flowers, all dirt head to toe, and then went for a walk up and down isles, then it HIT ME BOOM, seed heads, hundreds of them dead, just going to go to waste, well dug threw my van found a pen, always have scirrors in my dash, found paper, and went to town, cutiing off the dead heads and writing down what they looked like, I am very addicted to the wonderful world of SEED SNATCHING, I am giving back beauty, and I do shake a few back on the sites of others for respect, I grab out of yards too close to side walks, travel 15 miles to walk in the woods and also my passion is driftwood, love it all, have alot too. Found my true place in the world to share the beauty of wonderful flowers, really embaressed my dad on our trip to florida I took every thing I could find at every stop, he shook his head and just walked away, got worse when I got to florida got my step mom to go for walks with my paper sacks and pen and she was even stripping seeds with me, we still laugh she looks at seeds in a whole new light now, she is now a snatcher, it is a disease, but a good one, thanks all for your wonderful stories, I laughed alot. Lisa

• suseart
    15 years ago

HAHAHAHA, this is a great thread, love it! I have spent this Friday evening reading posts to my hubby, and we are both getting a kick out of it. Wow, you guys are all awesome, and I don't feel so bad now for the few times I have taken seeds here and there.

I do want to remind you guys, that if you have your cell phone with you, since most of them are camera phones now, you can take pics of the unidentifiable plants you take the seeds from, post the pics on this stie , and ask for help identifying them. Then you won't have to scribble " pink flowered bush by the orthodontist's office"...LOL!

Thanks for the great read, it has been a blast!

• token28001
    15 years ago

Yesterday, I got ;amb's ear, golden raintree, and Carolina allspice. I only walked 1/4 mile. Next Monday, I'll get Datura, White Crape Myrtles, and Rose of Sharon. All on public property.

• tailwheel
    15 years ago

Hmmmm! Frankly, seed snatching has never occured to me, but after reading this thread, the prospect sounds thrilling. In the future, I'm keeping my eyes open for opportunities to expand my growing experiences. To me, growing a plant is kinda like having a baby and watching it grow up, certain amount of pride goes with that, and the results are soooo satisfying.

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

MY KIND OF PEOPLE LOL ") everytime we would go camping I would always take extra newpaper, papertowels,& plastic sacks to keep the tree roots wet till we got home, rocks, & driftwood were always on the to look for list & when we would go to places like Worlds Of Fun or Branson, well just nothin but temptation at those places !!! LOL at first my friends would just shake the head & turn away but now they say did you see that one or I got these for you ! LOL
    Jan ") and yes, I'm a seed snatcher to !! (& enjoying every minute of it!) ;-D

• lisa_neenah
    15 years ago

Just seed snatched from Door County. If everything germinates (just hollyhock and hostas), I'll have great memories of an awesome weekend.

• seedlova
    15 years ago

OMG! I never thought there were so many of us out there! I thought I was alone with this bug. It started two years ago on a trip to Florida. I picked up seeds off a small palm at a factory outlet. Came home to my zone 5a and germinated the seeds. They all germinated and I became the father of 30 beautiful Washingtonia Filifera. I guess I must have caught the disease when I picked up the seeds. Well ever since then, It's been all downhill for me. Needless to say that this year's trip to Universal and Disney was nothing short of a carnage. I came home with 4 ziplock sandwich bags full of seeds. If your looking for a cure, don't go there, I tried to look away, to walk past the seed pods dangling in my face. They were all over; up down, right ,left. Dodging one seed made me trip on two. I was outnumbered.

I so understand you, my fellow seed snatchers, when you talk about the looks, the stares, the comments and wise remarks we occasionally get. Well to all these people passing comments and judgment I say: Oh for God's sake. Get a life! It used to bother me but now I've accepted myself. I am SeedLova and I'm a seed snatcher please accept me in spite of what I am.

If I never find a cure, then the world will only be a greener place.

To all you fellow seed snatchers, I now officially join your ranks.

PS. No joke, Univeral and Disney is like a candy store for a seen snatcher!

• token28001
    15 years ago

Bethany Beach Delaware. There was a solid white hibiscus growing out by the curb. Between the two of us, there were 4 lanes of sun baked traffic on US 1. I don't have to tell you what happened next. I've already traded the seeds in the exchange forum. :)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions