Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clod_gw

Confederate Rose

Clod
19 years ago

This is the first year my Confederate Rose bloomed, so I have no experience at saving the seed. There were two pods on the plant after all the blooms fell. They haven't turned brown yet. One was blown off in a wind storm. I brought it inside and dried it. I got tiny hairy green seeds from it. I tried to germinate two of them with no luck. Does this mean they are probably not viable? Tony

Comments (8)

• mistyq
    19 years ago

hi Tony,
    this is mistyq i have confedrate roses and i do nothing to them they come back year after year. i also live in sc.as far as the seeds go,i wait until all the blooms fall off and there will be a seed pod let it dry on tree then collect them.i have lots of seeds.you can also root the stalks in water.

• Clod
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Misty.I was able to get a good amount of mature seed from the second pod on the plant. And I have a cutting that rooted and is now growing. So I will be able to start plants in new locations. Thanks for the info. Tony

• little_dani
    18 years ago

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to save seeds. Seeds from Confederate Rose are not always viable, don't always come back true. But the #1 reason to skip the seeds on this one is that they root so easily from cuttings. And if you take cuttings from a plant that has bloomed, you have a mature plant, ready to bloom, as soon as it has roots. They grow so fast, you have a beautiful specimen in a couple of years. From a 12" cutting.

Janie

• baci
    18 years ago

Clod, can you describe what your pods & seeds look like? I am trying to save seeds myself.
    I think it is worth saving seeds from the Confederate Rose myself, as it is an easy way for traders who can not afford postage for plants to start the plant. Three years ago, I started some from seed, & they reached to 16 ft tall this year. This plant is not commonly grown in my area, & every time someone goes by they complement it. I grew it as a privacy border, & it works well for that.
    Having said all this, I agree with the above posters. The only problem I had was getting a couple of doubles rather than all singles out of my seed lot, but that is OK with me. It does root easily, & I have rooted 8 foot cuttings successfully (I was experimenting).

• Clod
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was a little surprised to see replies to this. I posted it a year ago. But anyway, Baci, it's a big pod that grows on the plant after they flower. If I remember right, it was a couple inches long. And it contains numerous seeds. But let it stay on the plant until it turns brown. One of my pods blew off in a wind storm prematurely and the seeds inside weren't viable. Yes, they are easy to take cuttings. I have a four foot plant with blooms from a cutting last year. In my zone, the stalks usually die back anyway. So you may as well use them as cuttings. I didn't know they came as a single bloom. All the ones I see around this part of the country are doubles. Good luck. Tony

• baci
    18 years ago

Thanks, Clod. I just saw the post at the top & re-posted  I did not look at the date. It grows quite tall in Southern CA, but is not common; probably because the leaves wilt in the intense summer heat. I had to cool the leaves by spraying them with water during the afternoons this summer. It does OK in large pots, however, & would be good for rolling around & shading certain areas. My flowers have been dropping, but I have not yet seen the pods. Maybe it needs cooler temperatures. Thanks for the info.

• little_dani
    18 years ago

You get the single blooms when you grow it from seeds. It is a real beauty whether single or double, and I have been looking for a single to take cuttings from myself. All my volunteers have turned out to be doubles. Bummer.

The single flower reminds me of a Magnolia, only it doesn't last as long.

Janie

• baci
    18 years ago

I have grown Confederate rose with both single and double blooms from seed. It sounds like you got a better isolated seed lot than mine. I am still happy with the plant, however.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions