Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_w

Lion Tail Seeds

janet_w
18 years ago

Can anyone show me what Lion Tail Seeds looks like? I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Janet

Comments (7)

• baci
    18 years ago

Here are some pictures of Leonotis leonurus  seeds & the pod. The seeds flatten as they age. Fresh seeds should appear plump. Just put them in a baggie, shake the bag, & you should see seeds at the bottom.

{{gwi:1257657}}

• janet_w
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Baci, that really helps. I found the pods like in your pic on my lions tail after the hard freeze we had. Do you kknow if the seeds would still be good and should I clip the pods off now or wait till Spring?
    Thank you
    Janet

• baci
    18 years ago

You can do a germination test to see if the seeds are good - they should sprout in 2-3 weeks. If you want to grow them this year, it looks like now or soon is the time to start them indoors. If they have been left outdoors, they might reseed, however. Mine re-seeded heavily the first year, so you may have many volunteers.
    The seeds should probably be saved in the fall, so I would save some now. A constant freeze would probably not hurt them, but freezing & thawing might affect viability. Just start looking at the seeds  the ones that are large and plump are the better quality seeds. Seeds with dimpled, flat, or seeds with an off color may have viability problems. If a seed batch has shiny and dull seeds, the shiny are healthier. Also watch for the spikes on the pod  they are annoying to the fingers.
    Propagation techniques depend on your area. Some growers cut the bush down in the fall, and it comes back next year, & some propagate by cuttings in the spring. The time to take cuttings depends on your zone, however. I have started cuttings early fall by stripping the lower leaves & sticking them in the soil. Some growers in cooler climates also bring the potted bush indoors during the winter. In certain areas of the west coast with microclimates, they are evergreen all year.

• janet_w
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Baci,
    I tied what you said to shake the seeds from the pod in a bag nothing came out. The spikes on the pods are definitely not finger friendly. Do I need to break open the pods to help find the seeds?
    Thank you
    Janet

• baci
    18 years ago

If they are not falling out, then they may be in the pod or they may have fallen to the ground. Sometimes it happens as the pods dry more. Also, if a pod is on the plant pointing up, it is more likely to have seeds. Pods pointing down may have dropped their seeds. Sometimes seeds do not set for some reason  such as cold weather starts too soon, but I doubt if that is the case.
    As you look at the pod, you see many dried flowers on the pod. I do not have my seeds in front of me, but you might try holding one of the flowering sections with a set of tweezers & slitting the side with a needle. A small set of needle nose pliers to hold the base might also work. Sometimes they hide in the flowering section near the base of the pod.

• baci
    18 years ago

I found my seeds, & an easier method for seed removal. Grab the pod by the base  the pointed end at the right. I lightly tamped the flowers  pod up flowers down  on a white plate. It released some old seeds. A plate with a ridge helps since it holds the seeds in.

• janet_w
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Baci,
    I carefully took the pods apart there's no seeds in them I guess they all fell out on the ground. I'll have to wait till Spring to see if anything sprouts then I can transplant them. Thank you for all your help.
    Janet