Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladium pollen - viability and storage?

Posted by onlychange 7a VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 11, 10 at 5:18

Hello all

I currently have a thai hybrid caladium "Phayamol" with an inflorescence. My problem (as new to breeding caladiums) is that I dont know how long pollen is viable in the fridge/freezer.

Are they like colocasias/alocasias where the pollen is good when sealed airtight and chilled for around 3 months in ~33-40 degrees?

I have scoured the internet, and can find a lot of information verifying the 3 month rule on elephant ears, but nothing much for caladiums.

Any help/shared experience would be greatly appreciated, i have about 3-5 days until my inflorescence opens and pollen can be collected (given its not a sterile hybrid..which i will find out).

I got my caladium to bloom within 2-3 weeks by application of 450ppm GA3 foliar spray. Same for my Alo. watsoniana (which will also have its pollen collected for hybridization).

Thanks in advance, everyone,

-OC

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here