Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sutallee

Trees that grow in shade?

sutallee
17 years ago

Does anyone know of any trees that keep there leaves in the winter months or evergreens that grow in pretty heavy shade in the summer months? In the winter some sun gets through. I am trying to block the veiw of a subdivision thet is being build behind me.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Comments (2)

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

This question is asked periodically, you might want to search on the trees forum for previous messages. Here's one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous shade/privacy question

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

Generally in a natural mixed forest the evergreens grow along WITH the deciduous trees each competing for the sunlight and yadda yadda yadda. To try to grow evergreens inside an established deciduous woods is difficult but not entirely impossible. I have Witchita Blue Junipers growing in full shade in a deciduous woods and my neighbors have Yew which are quite successful at being started in an established canopy. I think you will have a harder time with things like pine, spruce and other traditional evergreens. Yew might be your best bet. Soil conditions might be a bit problematic as well and you may have to do some ammending to get an evergreen to grow in soil that has been traditionally growing deciduous shrubs and trees. Also, deciduous trees (esp. maples with shallow and meshy roots) are water hogs, so trying to establish an evergreen amongst deciduous trees might mean a LOT of water for the first couple of years.

As for deciduous trees that keep their leaves, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the English Oaks and some of the Beech trees. My American Beech keeps it's leaves unless we have any HUGE windstorms in which case the top most leaves do get blown off but generally the lower leaves about 20' up from the ground still remain all winter until new buds force the old leaves off.

The Tamarack...geeze I'm not even sure what category that it falls into since it's leaves are like evergreens but it acts more like a deciduous tree. It does have LOW shade tolerance but if you have a spot where it might get 'some' sun it's a lovely tree. it's appearance is like a fir tree, conical in shape, fast growing and yet in the fall it's needles turn yellow/golden and stay ON the tree. It's also a species that LOVES water so it would be some work to keep it happy enough just for it's water needs, let alone getting it some sun.

I don't know the size of the area you are wanting to plant but have you considered culling some of the other trees in order to make sun for starting some evergreens? That's a whole 'nother option for you if you have the space AND the time/energy but that will certainly work if you have a large area and the time to cull out a few spaces to let in light.

Hope you find something helpful. Your local...what do you guys in the USA call it? Here we call it "Ministry of Natural Resources" but I think you guys call it "Extension Office", they should be able to help you with some ideas on what might work, specific to your region, shade conditions and soil conditions.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner