Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?

Posted by beetelman z6 pa (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 11:33

I would like to underplant a grove of 3 River Birch trees with a shade/part sun loving ornamental grass that does not get too tall, and I have narrowed the choice to one of the Hakonechloa "All Gold" or "Aureola" and a Carex/Sedge grass like Carex oshimensis 'Everillo' or Carex 'Silver Scepter'. I don't have any experience with either of these perennial grasses, but I have read decent reviews for both.

The ground under the river birches is normal (not too dry or wet), and there is some afternoon sun that will hit the grasses through the limbs of the birches. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hakonechloa or Sedge for under a River Birch?

The carex will be evergreen, the hakone not. Either than that, both will work equally as well. Personally, I like color variations of the 'Aureola' and think it would enhance the bark coloring of the birches very nicely. Don't care much for the 'All Gold.

o

I'm CRAZY for All Gold!

o

One thing to check out is speed of spread for the three plants. I don't grow either of the Carex you are interested in, but some Carex clumps or spreads slowly and some spreads fairly quickly. In my garden, Hakonechloa 'All Gold' makes a very slowly expanding clump so that it took probably 5 years to get from a one gallon pot to a two foot diameter clump. I like the bright gold to chartreuse range of colors it develops depending on the amount of sun it gets, and in my garden it is easy care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here