Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can i grow in my zone under pine trees?

Posted by hwalker_grow 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 15:10

new home owner, old pine only thing growing under one is YUCCA which i do not care for... any suggestions for western nebraska climate, and ? acidity? Grass will not grow there as under the trees is bare and or has yucca....
rather not have any yucca not very pretty and need curb appeal for my 1920's home... trees at least 80 yrs old and trimmed at least 10 feet to 15 feet from bottom unsure what type of pine tree... they shed small short needles
help
hwalker_grow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can i grow in my zone under pine trees?

Scan down to What Grows Under Pine Trees. I think there is a couple posts on your zone.

Your new home sounds so beautiful. I have a lot of old trees too but they're all decidous. Good Luck
oakleif

o

Contrary to what you might hear if your pine is cut high and it must be if you want to plant under it, hosta will grow there. Never just water the hosta. The roots of the tree will grow toward the water and choke it out.

o

Bloodroot and American ginger.

o

Forget me nots,pulmonaria,phlox divaricata, foam flower

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here