Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_sky

Flowering or Colorful Plants for Dry Shade

violet_sky
19 years ago

Hi All,

Hopeing you can help. I've got a new berm in the back [a previously unused corner of the yard that's now hosting a new compost bin. But the hill is naked - oh my... come spring I'd like to add some color, texture and interest to this spot. It gets a small bit direct sun in the morning but after that - all shade all day. And being under pine the soil is a bit acidic and very dry due to the density of the trees above. Any ideas for colorful, flowering plants that'd do well here? I don't want anything that gets over about 3' as it'd become a jungle back there...

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Campanulas, dicentra and foxglove will establish well in dry shade, also epimediums, hardy fuchsias (very long blooming with a wide range of colors and sizes) and several species of hardy geraniums will work. Hostas, when established, are a lot more drought tolerant than most folks assume and will offer great foliage texture and color. For year round interest, I'd include something evergreen - dwarf pieris, sarcococca, our native ferns and a good many groundcovers will also work in dry shade.

• DeeAnne_WC
    19 years ago

Hi, I also need help with flowering/colorful plants for dry shade. I live in Walnut Creek California, where it can get pretty hot (90s) in the summer. I have a prominent planting area in a corner of my patio that gets sun in the morning and shade almost all afternoon. It's "protected" on two sides by the house--I say protected, because it's protected from the wind, but not the heat, since it has a southern exposure and a patio that reflects heat. Right now there's a Cecille Brunner rose and a small gardenia. The gardenia does OK, but the rose doesn't flower too much. Besides, it's light pink, and looks really washed out.

I'd love to find a vine with flowers or berries or good fall color, and something smallish to plant in front. Any ideas? It seems that most shade plants don't like the heat. I'm even thinking about planting a deep-colored clematis to grow in the rose, and add some color.

Thanks!

• lisa2004
    19 years ago

How about coleus. I know they are annuals, but there are so many varieties and colors and they are easy to grow.

• lgkovalcik
    19 years ago

Helleborus orientalis (Lenten Rose). Evergreen, tough as nails, flowering in the late winter when nothing else is. Can't beat 'em.

Laura

• jakkom
    19 years ago

Lamium maculatum, once established, is an excellent groundcover for dry shade, and the flowers are either white or a beautiful deep pink.

I second hellebores, excellent plants for dry shade. Aucuba grows fast and gives height to the bed but can be pruned to any height, and the variegated types really brighten up a shady area.

HDepot garden centers get in regular shipments of Microlepia strigosa, which is an outstanding dry shade fern once established.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

I don't know if it will grow in your area but a good shrub for dry shade is Leatherleaf Viburnum. It is semi-evergreen for me, has nice texture to the leaves, and white blooms in mid spring. It is a slow growing shrub in shade, I have had mine for three years and it has not grown more than 6" in that span, it will take pruning if neccessary.

• ego45
    19 years ago

Violet Sky, in a left part of your picture I see some short single tranked tree (behind the berm), that appears to me like a very nice Pieris trained that way.
    I'd kill to have such a nice speciman!
    If so, word of caution wouldn't hurt.
    Pieris is a shallowrooted plant and in order to prosper can't have its roots covered with more than 1-2" of soil and any cultivation in root zone should be prohibited. My point is that portion of its roots appeared to be covered by berm's soil. You may consider to reduce back size of the berm to let your Pieris continue to be as beautiful and as healthy as it is.
    If it's not Pieris, than what is it?

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!