Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb in the shade?

Posted by water_daddy VA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 12:43

How will rhubarb fair in filtered morning-day light with a house blocking the late day sun? The North face of my house is noticably much cooler and damp (but the clay loams do drain). It seems rhubarb will endure the summer much better in this location. Is direct sun needed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb in the shade?

Grown mine for years in shade.You don't want to eat rhubarb after june.

o

Part shade is fine and maybe best if your summer temps exceed 90F with much frequency. Have never heard of any reason NOT to harvest after June - most of the rhubarb grown commercially is grown in the PNW and the season is typically April through September. In hotter climates, the plants will enter a period of dormancy with summer heat but will resume growth with cooler fall temperatures.

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb culture

o

I have purchased 4 Victoria rhubarb plants where I want to plant them is shaded by a tree until 1 oclock will the produce, they get about 5 hours of evening sun, can someone give me some advice .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here