Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodsycat_gw

Tree recommendations for semi-shade

woodsycat
16 years ago

I would like to ask for advice for a couple of trees for my back yard. I am in Pa, z6, and the back yard is already rather shaded by large maples, neighborÂs house, etc. The soil has a good amount of clay, but I will improve it when planting.

For one tree I am looking for something small to medium, with as much interest around the year as possible. It will be in one of the brighter parts of the yard, but I would still call it part-sun to part shade. My ideal tree: flowering (I do not have any flowering trees in the backyard), interesting branching, with fall and winter interest as it is very visible ( red foliage, red berries would be wonderful)

From my research so far an Amelanchier might be a good choice, except that I planted one in the front yard last year already. Compared to that ideal tree I love its irregular branching, but the leaves dropped in fall very quickly and itÂs bare in winter. I thought of a Hawthorn "Winter King", but I have heard that the flowers smell bad. Any other suggestions?

I have a second site in the backyard which is semi-shade to shade. I would love an evergreen that either grows relatively slow or doesnÂt get above approx 40 ft. My web searches led me to Balsam fir, but a local nursery man said that they donÂt do well in PA, and recommended "picea orientalis", Oriental Spruce.

Any thoughts and recommendations are more then welcome.

Comments (5)

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

check out michael dirr's WOODY PLANTS . he lists just about anything you'd want to choose and his discriptions and comments are right on.

you might try hemlock for your evergreen.

i have the winter king in my front yard -- about the only place i get sun. I'd suggest it for a sunny spot. Bark exfoliates very nicely after about 10 years. flowers are a fragrant cloud of white after pale pink buds that last 7 to 10 days. scent is a heavy vanilla-ish that can be overwhelming in a warm close area. its similar to milkweed or sweet autumn clematis. leaves are dull yellow in the fall if they make it that far into the season-- they tend to start dropping about the middle of august from somesort of disease (rust), otherwise they start the summer as a deep almost glossy green. Berries stay on the tree until late winter or spring (birds don't eat them until the berries freeze several times) and look really great after christmas. lots of seedlings are a problem as are the thorns(2-3 inches and sharp) all said and done i'd still keep my tree. i takes pruning nicely, with work in the early years it could be shaped artistically. mine has topped out about 30 feet tall by about 18 wide.

you could try red bud or a dogwood. or explore japanese maples wich would like a bit of shade.

diggerb

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

You need to make sure you get enough sun before you consider something like Amelanchier. Trees like that and Hawthorn require at minimum 5-6 hours of sun in order to flower well and set fruit. One way to tell how much sun is to watch the area on a sunny day (you may have to wait for the leaves to come out on your deciduous trees to know for sure). Check the spot every hour and count up the number of times the spot was in sun.

I have Styrax grandifolius in part shade and it flowers pretty well (or well enough). Not sure that it would work for you, but there are trees that tolerant more shade than others. Unfortunately, having those maples there will make it a bit more difficult.

And wanting 4 season interest might make it a bit harder to find something unless you do something evergreen (like Ilex opaca, American holly); there are plants with exfoliating bark that some people consider of interest in winter. Heptacodium miconiodes is one such tree (likes sun though), paperbark maple (Acer griseum) is another.

Hope that helps.

• woodsycat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the advice - I am in the process of looking up into all these ideas/info

diggerb - having info first hand about how it is to have (for example) a hawthorn, is exactly what I'm looking for.

Esh ga - I do get more sun in the front, so I do hope the Amelanchier will be doing well. I will also check Styrax grandifolius.

Finally, I know that I am looking for a lot - 4 season interest and evergreens without much light. In the end I might have to give up on some trait or another, but this way I have more to choose from.

Thanks again.

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

I have a beautiful coral bark japanese maple.
    There is a red tansy or is it red pansy redbud with purple foliage.
    There is yaupon holly. Not sure how these work in your zone but they are great for zone 7 here.

• bwca4
    16 years ago

Cornus kousa (Kousa dogwood).

Assuming it fits in your space requirements, its a great tree. Its also not as overused as some others and has a fantastic flower display.

When following this link, use the links on the right side of the page to access all of the different photo galleries associated with the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Illinois Plants database