Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koikana

Revamping partial shade garden (newbie)

koikana
10 years ago

We moved into an apartment that has a tiny garden area in the shape of a 1/4 of a circle... Maybe 6 sq ft, max, probably less.

What's currently there (and forgive me, I'm terrible at identifying plants) is some of that wheat-y looking grass clumps, a clump of yellow and white flowers (well, before they died overwinter) that looks almost bushy, and what looked like violets sort of. The bushy flowers are already growing back, but there's also weeds and grass growing. On top of the landscape fabric. There's about a little less than an inch of wood mulch on top of landscape fabric (neither of which I've ever used, but I want to rip up the fabric) but my questions are this:

* What is the easiest way to pull up a small area of landscape fabric? I'm disabled, but do way better crawling around on my hands and knees than standing up.

* What are some easy beginner plants for partial to full shade? Preferably veggies that can be grown singly, fragrant plants, or ground cover is what I'd prefer. we've yet to be here in summer, but right now we're only getting 4-5 hours direct sunlight. It's on the west side of the building.

* I'm almost certain the soil underneath the fabric is useless. Can I just stir it around and add topsoil? Do I need to dig it out? Do I need to add worms or will they come on their own in time to be beneficial to my plants?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction