Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cargobean

Long Blooming Astilbes; How often to Water?

cargobean
16 years ago

Hello there: I am thinking of planting some astilbes under a small tree. But I would like ones that bloom for a long time. I know these do not usually bloom very long, but heard that the one called Key Largo does. Does anyone know how long it blooms for?

Also, I'm a little nervous about getting astilbes, having heard they want loads of water. I have no problem watering them, but how much; and how often? I was also thinking of maybe getting that gel stuff to put in the ground to keep the soil from drying out, has anyone tried that with astilbes? Any help you can give me concerning your favorite long blooming Astilbes, any bright pink or purple preferably, and how much do you guys water yours? Thanks so much!! Cargobean

Comment (1)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

Astibles burn up in summer if they are not moist so if you cannot water every third day in at least July and August don't plant them. There are many other perennials that don't take as much water and besides the tree you want to plant them under will probably steal the moisture. I haven't had much luck with them and unless one has a sprinkler system or plants them over a septic tank I wouldn't plant them again, although they are attractive under the right conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6