Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutleaf lilac shade bloom?

Posted by merryrose 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 15:23

I have a new (one year old) woodland garden, lots of dappled shade. Would love to grow a fragrant lilac. In Dirr's "Hardy Trees" he mentions syringa laciniata or cutleaf lilac as "bearing reasonable flowers in partial shade." Any of you have experience with this lilac? Availability? Roses bloomed here so-so last yr, mostly one low shrub rose, lilies great, nothing bloomed on baby's breath. Advice please. I miss this old timer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutleaf lilac shade bloom?

I have one that had to be moved several years ago, into a location where it could receive several hours of direct sunlight. The old location was in my side yard and it bloomed well, until a nearby tree became so large that it provided shade for most of the day, whereupon it stopped blooming and the entire shrub began to tilt toward the brightest light. If I had not moved it, I think it would have eventually become horizontal upon the ground. LOL!

A few years after it was moved and began blooming again, a daffy neighbor cut it to the ground. He insisted that he thought it was a Japanese privet and he was doing me a favor by cutting it down? It has since regrown and again blooms.

See if you can find a location near the woods edge, where it can receive about 6 hours of direct sunlight. You might try it in a dappled shade location, but I suspect flowers may be sparse.

Mine came from a local nursery, about 40 years ago, but I haven't seen them offered locally in the past 2-3 decades.
You will probably have to Google for an online source. Be sure to check any vendor's reputation at GardenWatchDog before ordering. You will need to Google for that URL also, as posting it here is not permitted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here