Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass-IMPOSSIBLE

Posted by carlavange Italy (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 18:32

Hello, I'm a newbie here and in the gardening world. I need a helping hand: I live in Rome, the city of the sun and never-ending springtime, but seasons have changed also in sunny Italy and I live in a flat with a small garden which is never touched by the sun. Not only that, I also have two dogs that sometimes spend time outside with me, plus, just underneath my garden there are the ceiling of the garage of my building, therefore there are severe problems of drainage. In the past year I've tried to grow grass but to no avail. I got fungus, the soil is always too damp and the result is some sparse green in a sort of brown and muddy land. Please, any suggestion would be appreciated. Gardeners say I have to forget about it but I'm stubborn :) Any chance for me? Thanks for any helping voice. Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass-IMPOSSIBLE

What you have described are NOT conditions conducive to growing a nice lawn. Lots of sun and good drainage are pretty much basic requirements. Why don't you consider some other, more shade loving groundcover?

o

With poor drainage and shade forget about a lawn. It will never happen. With the drainage issue most plants are out. If you really want grass consider artificial turf. They have come a long way making this. Now it looks and feels like real grass. I have seen whole lawns of this and unless you are very close up you can't tell the difference

o

there is a very low growing (flat) Lysimachia minutissima that likes moisture and you can walk on it etc. It also spreads and reseeds. Check out "stepables"

o

Carla,
I hate difficult growing sites too. Hope you are still around.
How about plants that take foot traffic?
See website as example. Maybe between flat stones like in picture on stepables website.

Try Google search on. Stepables.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here