Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinylady_gw

plants in a bag

tinylady
17 years ago

Has anyone had luck with the plants you buy in the bag? I decided to try them yesterday. I could see that they were already sprouting so I thought that was a plus. I sure hope so, they were not cheap.

Comments (10)

• janet_grower
    17 years ago

I bought some last year, "Perennial Garden in a box", I am an experienced gardener and I potted them up right away (cause my zone called for babying) and only half grew. I will not buy this way again, but my source was more than likely different from yours, so don't be dicouraged, if all are shooting then I wouldn't worry cause its evident that the roots are alive. What did you buy? I bought some Caladiums last week and potted them up and nothing yet, Im crossing my fingers! Janet

• jcsgreenthumb
    17 years ago

I have had good luck with them but only buy them if I see active growth. If they are roots or bulb type plants, I open the bag and check them out first.

Jeanne

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

I agree. I bought some Siberian Iris in a bag-ones that were sprouting. The Liatris I got last year were a total bust-none of them grew. So you have to be cautious buying this way.

Jen

• tinylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not sure they are going to grow. I saw others after I bought these and I was kicking my behind thinking I should have bought them. They looked better. But I will see. If I do not see anything in a week then I know I wasted good money.

• Vickie56
    17 years ago

I have bought several things in a bag and most of them have done great. What I have bought is hosta and ferns.
    I hope my luck doesn't run out!!

• tinylady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

they died....lol

• pamritchie
    16 years ago

I am afraid to buy something I cannot see, I guess I dont trust the people that have to hide what they are selling in a bag. Never though of opening it before I paid for it, good idea.

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

This is my first year buying from a bag as well and I'm not sure any of what I go will grow. So far I see no sprouts and things were pretty dry when I took them out of the bag. :o/ I think this will be the FIRST AND LAST time I will buy from a bag even if I have to pay more for the already sprouted equivallent.

Barb
    Southern Ontario, CANADA

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Understand that perennials purchased "in a bag" are bare root starts - mere little slips of plants, often with insufficient root systems and no soil around to protect them. They are generally packaged in barely moist peat moss or sawdust to afford some protection, but shipping, handling and the time on the shelf (specially in big box stores or discounters) can result in considerable deterioration. Other than bulbs or rhizomes, most rooted plants won't survive for long with their roots exposed to the air or otherwise out of the soil. Depending on where you purchase them, the specific plant and the time of year, a success rate for plants offered this way is generally only about 50%. And in most cases, the offerings of "plants in a bag" tend to be rather common, generic varieties just as easily and inexpensively purchased as containerized starts from a local nursery or garden center. And with a far better chance of survival. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money.

• fennelgrl
    16 years ago

I've had good luck with bleeding heart, phlox, tradescantia (spider wort), and hosta. Astilbe have been miserable from bare root.

Sponsored