Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help

Posted by Matt1979 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 9:12

Sorry if this is the wrong spot as I'm looking for partial shade plants. We bought our house a year ago and the couple had 4 extremely overgrown boxwood in the westward facing front yard. I got 2 pulled up last spring and the other two this past weekend. The brick planters they are in are 4x12 and the other is 4x16 with a concrete fountain in the center. Planters are separated by the walkway leading to my front door and behind the planter's is my front porch where we want to put a bistro table and chairs.

I planted things in the spring in the smaller planter and it did not meet my wife's expectations. Not enough color, looks dead in winter, etc...

The question...now what?

She is leaving it up to me to plant things and I'm at a loss and the only help that I'm getting is more color and i don't want it to look dead in the winter. Some plants that I like.

Otto Luyken Laurel
Japanese Yew
Holly's
Azaleas
Rhododendron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help

edit: 5b not 6b

I'm surrounded by large maple and oak trees i do get filtered sun light for about 5-6 hours

o

Wish you were my hubby! How deep are the planters?
I wouldn't be able to resist azaleas for spring bloom. Rhododendrons need a deep planter and exceed 4 ft. width. Maybe there are dwarf types. Hydrangeas come in dwarf sizes. Not sure of dimensions of your other 3 names.

Ferns can be planted with any of the following for color.
Astilbes
Begonias (tuberous - tender)
Cyclamen (hardy type)
Columbines
Dicentra (Bleeding Hearts)
Impatiens (tender) (tall and short varieties)
Pansies / Violas
Primroses

o

Thanks for the feedback.

Funny you mention azaleas as my wife finally pointed out a neighbor's house that had them and said she liked them. I thought about ferns but with 3 small kids was worried that they would tear them apart, not sure how delicate the plants are, as my boys are not delicate.

The planter itself is raised about a 18 inches and appears to be bottomless. I dug down about 2 feet to get the rootballs out and then tilled in fresh compost and topsoil.

o

Great depth! You've got many choices. Nice prep work.
Doesn't everything look dead in the winter!

Actually most ferns are as sturdy as azaelas. I would look for those with individual stems coming up as if one is broken, another will replace it. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here