Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a spruce up!

Posted by KLoMe 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:44

I currently live in New Orleans, but am trying to sell a house in St. Louis (zone 5b). It has a small, steep, terraced front yard (3822wyoming.com for pictures) that gets a lot of shade from a large tree between the sidewalk and street (not pictured).
I'd like to pretty it up for spring. Considerations: I am obviously too far for upkeep/watering, but have someone mow the lawn every 2 weeks or so, who could probably do minor upkeep, too. I do not want to spend much money - just want to give it more curb appeal. Any suggestions, including when and what to plant, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a spruce up!

Without spending a lot more money than you might want, I would keep it very simple, maybe some pots with annuals. Anyone who buys will "do their own thing". This is just my opinion...Lovely house by the way.

o
RE: need a spruce up!

wow....that takes me back.....used to live a couple of blocks away, 3600 block of McDonald.

i don't know how properties are moving in south city are moving right now, but the summertime will be tough if it's still on the market. The only thing that I can think of might be some of the taller sedums. There is a dark-leaved variety tht I can imagine looking nice in a fairly rigid pattern with a contrasting mulch. It could look nice and formal/modern if done in a repeating pattern.

HTH,
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here