Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Japanese Maples in shady conditions

Posted by crabbygardener 7b / NC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:45

I am wondering if Japanese maples would grow well under a not-too-dense stand of loblolly pines. I read this somewhere but want to verify. I would love to get one or two as an accent in the shady part of my yard, but I want to make sure that they'll actually grow well. My neighbors have one--their leaf color is beautiful!
(To clarify, these plants would get a little bit of direct sun but would primarily be shaded by the pines.)
Also, any particular varieties that I should choose, or other things to keep in mind?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Japanese Maples in shady conditions

Here in coastal Calif. (and Oakland area 200 miles north) they do well in partial shade. I have been told the lacier the leaf is, the definate need for shade.

o

I have three in partial shade and all do well.

o

You might want to post on Maples forum or Japanese gardens forum for suggestions of JMs for shady conditions. Quit alot of discussion of JMs there. I'm no expert but I do know there are soooo many cultivars that need shady areas, I can't list them all. They also very so greatly in size, texture, color and form. Google "Japanese Maples for shade" you will find tons of informatio also.
Cheers

o

You might want to post on Maples forum or Japanese gardens forum for suggestions of JMs for shady conditions. Quit alot of discussion of JMs there. I'm no expert but I do know there are soooo many cultivars that need shady areas, I can't list them all. They also very so greatly in size, texture, color and form. Google "Japanese Maples for shade" you will find tons of informatio also.
Cheers

o

Good advice above :-) But as a Maples forum regular, let me say this - the warmer the climate, the more shade a JM can tolerate. Red leaved varieties may lose color ("green out") in much shade but the very light colored leaves (gold, chartreuse, yellow-green) and those with very narrow, linearlobum-type foliage do best in at least some shade. And any variegated forms must have protection from afternoon sun at the very least.

The only other concern with planting close to the pines is maintaining adequate soil moisture. Larger growing conifers tend to suck moisture out of the soil and JM's are not happy in dry conditions. You may need to attend to water needs in this location.

btw irisgal, red laceleaf maples are particularly sun tolerant, even in Sacramento!

o

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here