Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pauhaus

Epimedium Question

pauhaus
19 years ago

Hi all, I am a newbie to gardening and prepared a shade bed last fall. I purchased an epimedium grandiflorum "Lilofee" and epimedium x youngianum "Merlin" and planted the bare roots about 1/4" to 1/2" under the soil. I then topdressed the area with about a 2-3" layer of composted manure. I am now thinking that I may have planted them too deep.

Is it possible to plant bare roots of epimediums too deep? Will they still emerge? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

I'm not sure how to answer you. Bare root perennials are seldom available in the fall - generally bare root plants are dug and sold while dormant, which in the case of epis is in midwinter. It could very well be that these were 'held over' from earlier in the season, in which case they may not have survived the process. AFA planting too deep is concerned, just under the soil surface and a couple of inches of compost is not too deep, specially since compost will typically compact over winter. I'd give them some time yet - new growth is just starting to emerge here in zone 8.

btw, it's 'Lilafee' :-)

• pauhaus
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the response, gardengal. I appreciate it.

• von1
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I have 16 different epis. I think you should just wait also. In the fall 2 years ago I planted 6 new epis. I thought I lost them when they didn't show up in the Spring. Then, there they were. Just give it a little more time. One of my favorite dry shade plants. Most are even hardier that the label suggests.
    Von

• pauhaus
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Von, thanks for the response. My anxiety is melting just like the snow. Can you suggest a good mailorder source for epis? Thanks. again.

Paul

• von1
    19 years ago

Hi again,
    I bought a lot of mine from this source:
    Garden Vision
    63 Williamsville Road
    Hubbardston, MA 01452-1315
    Phone/fax 978-928-4808

All the nurserys around here had the same 4 or 5 varieties. I saw something about this on Martha Stewart and got a catalog. Some of the varieties are amazing. some are creepers and others are not. I did find more varieties of epis in the garden centers around here last year. I think they will catch on like hosta have. They make good companion plants for hosta and fern because of the different textures of foliage.
    Have fun discovering the world of epis.
    Von

• waplummer
    19 years ago

Darrell Probst IS the epimedium guru. I jst received his new catalog "Garden Visions". He has 11 pages of Epimediums and 12 pages of color photos of the plants he is offering. The website is home.earthlink.net/~darrellpro

• pauhaus
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Von1 and Waplummer, thanks very much for the info regarding Darrell Probst. I already ordered my catalog! Let's see...an E. Black Sea, E. Lishihchenii, E. Stellulatum "Wudang Star," E. X Omeiense...to start. Any favorites, suggestions??

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Another excellent epi source is Naylor Creek Nursery, plus they carry a pretty impressive selection of other shade lovers including scores of hostas. Some of my favorites are 'Rose Queen' (Yubae), 'Queen Esta', leptorrhizum and brachyrrhizum, but I've never met an epimedium I didn't like :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Naylor Creek epis

• pauhaus
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, gardengal48! I will check them out as well. Oh boy, I feel an addiction coming on...

• von1
    19 years ago

I JUST LOOKED AT THE EPIS AT NAYLOR CRREK THIS MORNING AND WAS SURPRISED THAT THEY HAD SO MANY. I STARTED AN ORDER THEN HAD TO GO TO WORK. HIT 100.00 WITH OUT EVEN TRYING. LOOK AT THE BRUNNERA JACK FROST(READILY AVAILABLE NOW). I HAVE THIS AND CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT. SAME ENVIRONMENT AS EPIS AND HOSTA. SILVER WINGS IS THE REASON WHY I WENT TO THIS SITE. I CAN'T FIND IT ELSEWHERE. I THINK THE OTHER SILVER BRUNNERA WAS LOOKING GLASS. THESE ARE REALLY EXCELLENT COMBINED WITH THE HOSTA AND RED COLORED HEUCHERA LIKE AMETHYST MIST.
    VON

• pauhaus
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Von, I love my brunnera. I have some jack frost, looking glass and a variegated form. I combine mine with some pulmonaria. I'll have to get some heuchera in there...

Paul

• desperationfalls
    19 years ago

Is this a guy thing--liking Brunnera Jack Frost?

I know that folks have visceral reactions to various
    plants--that one does it for me--neighbors up the hill
    have many of those plants and they remind me of the
    descriptions of the plants in Mordor--the white, pale
    ghostlike flora of the land of the dead.

but, no accounting for taste!
    Each to his own, I always say!

Sponsored