Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleymcn

Small Shade Area in Front Yard w/ Bird Bath

ashleymcn
13 years ago

I'm having a difficult time deciding what to plant in the small area of my front yard, at the end of the bed. The bed has a tall brick border with a crepe myrtle and a bird bath sharing the space. I also have a large tree in the center of the yard that provided rays of sun to peek through the branches, but all in all, the area would lean more towards the shady side. I'm in North Texas, so the soil is the thick clay. I planted Salvia around the bird bath with one pot of Lantana last spring hoping this area would get more sun, but the lantana never grew and the salvia didn't really perform until the end of summer. I like the idea of "cottage like" flowers that would offset the more proper looking hedges, and perhaps something that would spread out a bit around the bird bath as it's close to brick with more free space behind the bird bath. This area is directly outside my office window, so I'm hoping that someone can provide some ideas to help me enjoy this small area while I'm working. I've thought about Azalea's, but again, I like the bird bath where it is and the Azalea plant would be behind the bath. The area in question is roughly 6 x 6. I have a picture that I could email from what it looked like last year.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County